Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the tires on the Chief Wrangler JKs are knobbier than standard Sahara? The window stickers state that both the Sahara and the Chief are P255/70R18 OWL On/Off-Road Tires but the Chief tires appear more knobby when I look at them. Wondering if the Chief tires are louder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe the Chief's tires are knobbier that the standard Sahara's. There is not a lot of road noise coming from them, but probably a bit more that the Sahara. I didn't drive a Sahara, but I did drive a Rubicon and there was no difference.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
2017 Sahara Freedom: 18x7.5 255/70r18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T (Street tires)
2017 Chief Edition: 17x7.5 255/75r17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains (Offroad tires)

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
A chief with 18" wheels? is that an available option?

17" wheels and the BFG Mud terrain is the usual combo

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
So it's been established the chief tires are the same as the rubicon's. about the noise...they make some noise. But if you rotate them (5 tire rotation) every 3-5k miles, they should be fine. When I bought my jeep, the tires had an unknown amount of miles. I rotated them and holy hell did they immediately make double the noise. Moral of the story. ROTATE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've been pleasantly suprised by the KMs so far. They handle decent, arent all that noisy, and ride well. I had feared they would be much worse. But I was right about their winter handling. They suck in snow/slush.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I took my original Sahara events and tires of and replaced them with the hard Rock rims and km 2 tires and didn't notice too much difference as far as noise.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I test drove both. The Sahara tires were notably more compliant on road. But I still bought the Chief cause it's cool.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I recently took off Sahara wheels on my JK with Bridgestone Duelers and installed 17" Rubicon wheels with BFG Mud Terrains. Duelers definitely handle and perform better on the road. But, the KMs look much better, make a little noise, and will take about 1/2 to 1 mile per gallon away, but after all if we really gave a rip about MPG, we wouldn't be driving Wranglers. Off the road, night and day difference. The KMs are super on trails/mud etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know if the tires on the Chief Wrangler JKs are knobbier than standard Sahara? The window stickers state that both the Sahara and the Chief are P255/70R18 OWL On/Off-Road Tires but the Chief tires appear more knobby when I look at them. Wondering if the Chief tires are louder.
The mud terrain tires are really loud. As a person with a past brain injury I am super noise sensitive. These are much louder on pavement than I expected. LT255R17 Mud Terrain. Getting ready to buy new tires. Suggestions?

·
Retired Moderator
100,547 Posts
The mud terrain tires are really loud. As a person with a past brain injury I am super noise sensitive. These are much louder on pavement than I expected. LT255R17 Mud Terrain. Getting ready to buy new tires. Suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Unfortunately that is the trade off for a good off-road tire. The best off-road will always be loud that is just the nature of the beast. The more aggressive you get, the noisier they are.

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
First, it depends on how you will use your Jeep and what your expectations are.
But a few good options that will work pretty well off road and not be so noisy on road are; Falken AT3w, Toyo AT3, BFG KO2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts