Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an article that the Great Wall Co, a Chinese manufacturer, wants to talk to FCA about acquiring all or part of the company. They state that they are specifically interested in the iconic and coveted Jeep brand. I get globalization, but I'm not sure that I could continue buying Jeeps if the iconic American vehicle was produced and owned by a Chinese company. It'd be like having all our apple pies baked by Belgians. Figures, just as their finally about to release a US version of the diesel Wrangler. I hope DT is watching and he squashes the deal.

·
Registered
287 Posts
FCA ultimately will make the right decision for their shareholders. That is how business works. I could see American icons like the Wrangler continued to be made in America but other 'value' Jeeps being made elsewhere. But I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
Money talks, and if the Chinese cough enough of it up Jeep will owned by the Chinese, and probably made in China. That will suck big time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I find it surprising, given how they are reverse engineering everything without license to "copy"... apparently you can by a BMW/Merc/LandRover over there, but it's called something else of course.
At least they are asking to buy Jeep before they just go ahead and reverse engineer them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
On one hand, it'd feel odd to have Jeep owned by the Chinese (even though they're owned by the Italians now), but on the other hand, look at Volvo. Owned by Geely since 2010 and putting out some really good product. Similarly, Jaguar's been owned by Tata (Indian, not Chinese, but still) since 2008, and their stuff is some of the best in recent memory.

Yeah, I'm trying to be positive. Maybe Chinese investment will help quality control issues many of us have.

·
Super Moderator
7,834 Posts
On one hand, it'd feel odd to have Jeep owned by the Chinese (even though they're owned by the Italians now), but on the other hand, look at Volvo. Owned by Geely since 2010 and putting out some really good product. Similarly, Jaguar's been owned by Tata (Indian, not Chinese, but still) since 2008, and their stuff is some of the best in recent memory.

Yeah, I'm trying to be positive. Maybe Chinese investment will help quality control issues many of us have.
The Chinese can turn out a good product if they want to. I for one would not be a first year buyer though, that's if I decide to do business with Jeep once they own it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Nah, they don't pay for licensing, or respect US patten laws. If they want to make a Jeep, they will do so.
They probably make a huge part of the electrical components anyway.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
As frightening as that is to me, I think Sergio could be tempted by a sale, especially since he was pushing Mary Barra (GM) to merge and "cut manufacturing costs"...

Sadly Sergio, supply/demand scales do not work for the customer when corporations merge...

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,857 Posts
Can't and won't support it.
I could buy a Toyota, but not a Chinese version of an American classic.

If China made a 67 Corvette split window, would you buy one?

Reactions: old8tora

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is a tragedy that an American icon like the Jeep brand could be owned by the Chinese. This country is losing more and more of what makes it unique and American, but that's another story. Stop and consider that Jeep is already owned by a foreign country, and so far it's business as usual.
In trying to keep upbeat about this possibility, there are two things to consider. First and foremost, I feel that even if bought by the Chinese, Jeeps sold in the US would continue to be built here. There might be some new models that might be imported to the US, like the Renegade, but I feel that the Chinese would have the good sense to keep the Jeeps sold in the US also made in the US. I think that China would use this opportunity to expand the world market for Jeep vehicles using assembly plants in other countries to produce those Jeep vehicles destined to be sold around the world. Having a Wrangler built in China or some other country actually sold in the US, IMO is pretty unlikely.
No matter what we think about the Chinese, they have a history of making intelligent business decisions and they have long term business plans. Unlike some American companies who only worry about the short term and making a buck, (remember Cerberus and the disaster that turned out to be?) Chinese companies plan for the long term. They know that they would have a jewel in owning Jeep and I feel that they would take any measure to make sure that it thrived.
I would love to see Jeep stay all American, but it doesn't mean the end of the world if it is sold. It would however be a big embarrassment for an icon like Jeep to be owned by a foreign country, but look at how many American businesses, buildings, and farm lands that have already been bought by foreigners. Budweiser Anheuser-Busch, Motorola, AMC Theatres, Burger King, 7-Eleven, IBM, General Electric, Purina, all used to be US owned.
More than likely the Chinese would use this as a way to introduce their Chinese built products into the US. They have been looking for a way in for years, and this might be just what they need to infiltrate the US market. But for the most part the US part of Jeep, I think will remain mostly unchanged.
That still doesn't mean that I have to like this new possibility.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
It is a tragedy that an American icon like the Jeep brand could be owned by the Chinese. This country is losing more and more of what makes it unique and American, but that's another story. Stop and consider that Jeep is already owned by a foreign country, and so far it's business as usual.
In trying to keep upbeat about this possibility, there are two things to consider. First and foremost, I feel that even if bought by the Chinese, Jeeps sold in the US would continue to be built here. There might be some new models that might be imported to the US, like the Renegade, but I feel that the Chinese would have the good sense to keep the Jeeps sold in the US also made in the US. I think that China would use this opportunity to expand the world market for Jeep vehicles using assembly plants in other countries to produce those Jeep vehicles destined to be sold around the world. Having a Wrangler built in China or some other country actually sold in the US, IMO is pretty unlikely.
No matter what we think about the Chinese, they have a history of making intelligent business decisions and they have long term business plans. Unlike some American companies who only worry about the short term and making a buck, (remember Cerberus and the disaster that turned out to be?) Chinese companies plan for the long term. They know that they would have a jewel in owning Jeep and I feel that they would take any measure to make sure that it thrived.
I would love to see Jeep stay all American, but it doesn't mean the end of the world if it is sold. It would however be a big embarrassment for an icon like Jeep to be owned by a foreign country, but look at how many American businesses, buildings, and farm lands that have already been bought by foreigners. Budweiser Anheuser-Busch, Motorola, AMC Theatres, Burger King, 7-Eleven, IBM, General Electric, Purina, all used to be US owned.
More than likely the Chinese would use this as a way to introduce their Chinese built products into the US. They have been looking for a way in for years, and this might be just what they need to infiltrate the US market. But for the most part the US part of Jeep, I think will remain mostly unchanged.
That still doesn't mean that I have to like this new possibility.
Agreed.

I think it has partly to do with our assumption that our labor should cost more (which partly comes from various taxes, insurances, etc.). I'm not saying these aren't necessary/good/whatever, just that the cost of living "comfortably" in the US is significantly higher than other industrious countries.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another way of looking at it is if we consider that for about 3 years now, Jeep has been a foreign owned company and I still see these forums lined with Jeep enthusiasts and people lining up to buy Wranglers. Under the ownership of Fiat, Jeep has grown and is now stronger than ever. For everyone who is thinking about buying a new JL or has rushed to buy a 2017 JK, I don't see anyone complaining about the fact that Jeep is already foreign owned.
Like I said before, Jeep is too valuable to take any chances with. If Jeep is sold to the Chinese, I definitely won't like it, but I feel that Jeep will survive.
From someone who used to work for Chrysler for many years while it was still an American owned corporation, and watched it go from all-American to something sold to an American investment firm, Cerebus, who raped Chrysler of it's profits and left it in far worse shape than it got it, I've experienced a lot of disappointments over the years.
When Fiat purchased Chrysler a few years ago, sure it was disappointing to see Chrysler being bought by a foreign company, but at the time it assured that Chrysler continued to exist. We had to hope and pray that Fiat would treat Chrysler well enough so that it would thrive, and for the most part, they have.
Evidently the business scene has changed so that in order to survive, businesses must constantly enlarge themselves in order to thrive and grow their market so now we see that Fiat sees the need to merge or even sell off part of their ownings in Chrysler.
Even if Fiat sells Jeep to a Chinese company, I think it's still important to note that the Jeep that originated, was designed, and is built in the US will continue to be built in the US for the US market. It still provides jobs for Americans and continues the proud legacy of the Jeep brand.
Would I have liked to see it remain American owned, you bet, but remember it is already foreign owned and if it is sold to the Chinese, that will be largely in name only. For those of us in the US, Jeep will continue to be an American company with American workers who produce the vehicle that has no real competition and that is responsible for this forum's existence.
I won't like it, but I will continue to buy Jeep.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Another way of looking at it is if we consider that for about 3 years now, Jeep has been a foreign owned company and I still see these forums lined with Jeep enthusiasts and people lining up to buy Wranglers. Under the ownership of Fiat, Jeep has grown and is now stronger than ever. For everyone who is thinking about buying a new JL or has rushed to buy a 2017 JK, I don't see anyone complaining about the fact that Jeep is already foreign owned.
Like I said before, Jeep is too valuable to take any chances with. If Jeep is sold to the Chinese, I definitely won't like it, but I feel that Jeep will survive.
From someone who used to work for Chrysler for many years while it was still an American owned corporation, and watched it go from all-American to something sold to an American investment firm, Cerebus, who raped Chrysler of it's profits and left it in far worse shape than it got it, I've experienced a lot of disappointments over the years.
When Fiat purchased Chrysler a few years ago, sure it was disappointing to see Chrysler being bought by a foreign company, but at the time it assured that Chrysler continued to exist. We had to hope and pray that Fiat would treat Chrysler well enough so that it would thrive, and for the most part, they have.
Evidently the business scene has changed so that in order to survive, businesses must constantly enlarge themselves in order to thrive and grow their market so now we see that Fiat sees the need to merge or even sell off part of their ownings in Chrysler.
Even if Fiat sells Jeep to a Chinese company, I think it's still important to note that the Jeep that originated, was designed, and is built in the US will continue to be built in the US for the US market. It still provides jobs for Americans and continues the proud legacy of the Jeep brand.
Would I have liked to see it remain American owned, you bet, but remember it is already foreign owned and if it is sold to the Chinese, that will be largely in name only. For those of us in the US, Jeep will continue to be an American company with American workers who produce the vehicle that has no real competition and that is responsible for this forum's existence.
I won't like it, but I will continue to buy Jeep.
Not the same at all. Fiat is leveraging marketing that is true, but the JK was a Chrysler/Daimler design. Daimler is good at quality. All Fiat had to do was buy Jeep and not screw it up. For the most part they have been successful too. The Chinese build junk. The first Chinese design Jeep will be junk. Chinese companies, for the most part, do not invest in their employees happiness. American workers will not put up with that and the skilled ones will leave the company. Then we have a bunch of third stringers running Jeep. It will go down hill and be sold off to anyone who will have it ala AMC.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Not the same at all. Fiat is leveraging marketing that is true, but the JK was a Chrysler/Daimler design. Daimler is good at quality. All Fiat had to do was buy Jeep and not screw it up. For the most part they have been successful too. The Chinese build junk. The first Chinese design Jeep will be junk. Chinese companies, for the most part, do not invest in their employees happiness. American workers will not put up with that and the skilled ones will leave the company. Then we have a bunch of third stringers running Jeep. It will go down hill and be sold off to anyone who will have it ala AMC.
We can only hope IF this future becomes reality that the Chinese will primarily be from an investment point of view and not so much on design/engineering.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts