Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Do you have a link to the FCA press release, where they claim they are looking for a buyer for their Jeep division?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a link to the FCA press release, where they claim they are looking for a buyer for their Jeep division?
It's hearsay. I am involved in the dealer network and that's some rumors we hear. I hope this does not happen. It would be a partnership.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
yes, the rumor in the auto industry is that FCA needs a partner....
anyway, if FCA/jeep is sold to the chinese, I'll be a "one and done" customer....

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be awsome if Ford bought the jeep brand. Yes the 3.5 eco would be a perfect fit for the wrangler

·
Registered
661 Posts
yes, the rumor in the auto industry is that FCA needs a partner.... anyway, if FCA/jeep is sold to the chinese, I'll be a "one and done" customer....
Not sure why a Chinese partnership is so scary. To be honest, their quality control is probably already as bad as it would be if it were managed by a Chinese company.

·
For The Horde!
77 Posts
FCA CEO has said for years he believes in mergers to consolidate support functions to cut overhead cost (AKA what Fiat did with Crystler to Make FCA. They are not looking sell Jeep, it is there most profitable brand. Its like facebook inc selling facebook.com to focus on instagram.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Who knows how credible any rumors are at this point, but I doubt a Chinese owner would be as bad as people think when the thought first crosses their mind. Volvo was nearly run into the ground when Ford ran them from 1999 to 2008, and their cars had grown very stale and dated. A Chinese company bought the brand from Ford, and their first (and now second) model has been an incredible success and is absolutely beautiful.

The more upmarket Excellence version:

Also, look at what happened when Ford (I see a theme here) sold Land Rover to an Indian company Tata around the same time. Reliability went way up, the design was modernized, off road capability went up, and it too became much more successful than before. I think they key is to still allow the designers and engineers to keep the spirit of the company alive and well, and for the new owners to inject the capital and resources to allow them to be successful. The Jeep brand is far too storied and popular for any new owner to risk destroying it - much like Volvo and Land Rover.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Here are couple things I found related to the topic

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/27/fca-jeep-ram-production-plans-official/

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150831/INDUSTRY_ON_TRIAL/308319980?template=mobile

I don't think that they would sell off their brand to China, maybe merge with a China company to produce or build a Wrangler in China. They are already building the Jeep Cherokee over their so I could see it happening. I also heard rumor a few years back that international was going to buy the Jeep brand and that never happened. A lot of this stuff gets said and by the time the crap floats down river it's a huge pile when it reaches the bottom.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts