Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to let everyone know I bought (2) of the keys for an '07 Wrangler off ebay. Shopped by price only, and bought the very cheapest direct from China. They did come over on a slow boat, but got them and called the dealer for programming one of them and cutting 2 of them.

First thing I heard from Service Dept: "Well, we will try our best but a lot of times those keys just fall apart, or they don't have any electronics in them". If the program doesn't "take" then you'll still have to pay. I said, well if you didn't charge $200 for them I wouldn't have looked elsewhere. I'll take my chances.

Gist of it, both programmed perfectly. I did the 3rd key I had myself, which also befuddled the service department. I told them why would I pay you to do something that takes me 45 seconds?

Overall, price was reasonable; $50 to cut and program; $25 just to cut one.
I asked why it was so expensive to just cut a key. Was told "We don't copy keys anymore, we plug in the VIN and it downloads the cut to the machine. So if anything, that seems simpler, but it is what it is.

Got two brand new keys now for less than $100 total.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Once you have two working keys the "owner" can program more keys as they choose. MUST have two working keys. Matter of inserting one after another and turning off and on....it was on JK forum......

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I got both of my spare keys off amazon. Ace hardware cut them for free. I had to have the dealer program the ones with the buttons as that I only had 1 key from when I bought the jeep.

Keys with buttons $30

Keys without buttons $9

they both are working well!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Programming for Chrysler Jeep Dodge Smart Keys / Key Remote Combos / Keys
When
Key(s) added or replaced.
How
NOTE: Two programmed keys must be available for the following procedure to operate.
Obtain all keys.
Using first programmed key, proceed as follows:
Turn ignition switch ON and wait 5 seconds, return to OFF position and remove key. (ON position is right before starting the vehicle)

NOTE: First and second programmed key operations MUST be performed within 15 seconds.
Insert second programmed key and switch ignition ON. Wait approximately 10 seconds.
Ensure immobilizer warning lamp begins to flash and an acoustic signal is emitted.
Within 60 seconds, proceed as follows:
Switch ignition OFF and remove key.
Insert new key and switch ignition ON. Wait approximately 10 seconds. Ensure acoustic signal is emitted and immobilizer warning lamp remains
illuminated for 3 seconds indicating programming complete. For each additional key repeat procedure starting from the beginning.
Replacement keys can also be programmed using diagnostic equipment.
NOTE: A maximum of 8 keys can be programmed.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks for the notice!

I've been meaning to order a spare, now I need to quit putting it off before I do wind up losing one!

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Once you have two working keys the "owner" can program more keys as they choose. MUST have two working keys. Matter of inserting one after another and turning off and on....it was on JK forum......
I'll just add, that you need two unique keys. If you have a key that merely a clone of the first, the JK will think you're simply inserting the same key twice (and not allow the programming of additional keys).

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
So if you have a 2015 JK with no power options do they still have to be programmed or do you just need them cut?
Even though you don't have the remote door locks/unlocks, the key itself still needs the "Sentry" chip programmed into your JK for the ignition-immobilization anti-theft stuff.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Do you have remote start and if so do these work with that?
I do have remote start. The keys did not have the button for remote start (wasn't able to find them on amazon).

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Even though you don't have the remote door locks/unlocks, the key itself still needs the "Sentry" chip programmed into your JK for the ignition-immobilization anti-theft stuff.
Walt is correct. you still need to program them. If you do not, the jeep will start, but as soon as you put it in gear it will stop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone find a place to get 2015 wrangler keys with remote yet??

I did send a message to the amazon seller to see if they had any or if the ones linked will work...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
wondering as well if they will work on a '15....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just posted a thread about 2015 programming issues. According to the FCC ID on the keys, the 2015 keys are the same. However the programming sequence is what seems to be different. When I follow the sequence above I get no chimes and the light responds slightly differently.

·
Registered
44 Posts
wondering as well if they will work on a '15....
So I got a reply from the amazon seller -- I gave them all the numbers off the back of the remote

Said they have nothing in stock at this time but they should have them in a week

I asked to be notified when they are back in stock

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good luck with those keys, I wouldn't be surprised if you looked at them the wrong way and they exploded in your hand, I had a friend that bought one and had it programmed and it worked, for like 3 days -.-, I didn't want to dabble in the dark arts so I took my happy ass to my local ace hardware and bought a programmed key for 90 bucks. 8 months later the key works fine I keep it as a JIC key.

Key made in Italy btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
So I got a reply from the amazon seller -- I gave them all the numbers off the back of the remote
That's exactly what I did, and got a key that has the same numbers as my 2015 key. Still won't program.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts