Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a single chirp when turning off the engine. It seems to correlate to the last compression before engine is calm. Not sure if this is doing harm or if it's just a tight tolerance due to compression ratio. Only happens when shutting off the engine. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it only after the engine is hot? I've noticed that my trans temp has to be atleast 160 and I have the same noise when I shut engine off and also if the engine is hot and I start the car it makes the same noise when I go from park to reverse. I have seen other threads that describe it as the "owl noise", take a look.

Also, I havent seen any real determination of what the issue is or how to fix it...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
lol. seems like the population getting this is getting bigger. you can get it replaced, but no promises that it will fix it. it didnt fix mine, fixed others, others had it be a quieter sound than before.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt pay attention as far as engine temp, ill check that in a few hours. Been sitting so its cold. It doesnt bother me, just wondered if it's something I need to be concerned about. Feereless what is it that needs to be replaced or fixed?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I didnt pay attention as far as engine temp, ill check that in a few hours. Been sitting so its cold. It doesnt bother me, just wondered if it's something I need to be concerned about. Feereless what is it that needs to be replaced or fixed?
Transmission temperature at 160 degrees not engine. So you'll have to drive it around town for a bit to get the transmission heated up. I think it was Blankster in another thread who emphasized having the transmission above 160 degrees when you take it in. Sorry, I'm answering for Feerless too...but it's the transmission valve body.

Here is a link to it: VALVE BODY. Complete for 2014 JEEP WRANGLER. #RL108213AB

But like Feerless said, no guarantees it will fix it. I think it's a newish problem. I called my dealer yesterday and he was clueless. He SAID that they haven't done any of these repairs based off transmissions making noise.

A TSB from Chrysler would get the news out to the service techs and make this easier on all of us.

I've gone to two different dealers and the first one said they couldn't duplicate it (this was a year ago), and the last dealer (six months ago), said it wasn't normal but they didn't have a fix for it and he would check with Chrysler...I haven't heard anything yet. The power train is covered under warranty till 100,000 or ten years so if it goes during that time I'm still covered. That's how think about it. But at the same time, the more people who have this problem the sooner Chrysler will have to address it and get us a permanent fix.

Sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After several more drives what not it appears it does it mainly after verything is nice and hot, oil/ tranny fluid. Also noticed my tranny fluid is in the middle of the upper two holes and bottom two holes at 160 degrees. Basically half way point. Not sure if im low or a bit too full.
Got a click sound when going from park to reverse, drive etc. Sounds like it could be my torque converter. I just don't see this Jeep lasting.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Check your accessory belt. Sometimes when a motor hits compression on shutdown and the accessories want to keep moving you get a chirp. Cummins motors do it a lot.

I just don't see this Jeep lasting.
yea not with that attitude!

·
Registered
524 Posts
After several more drives what not it appears it does it mainly after verything is nice and hot, oil/ tranny fluid. Also noticed my tranny fluid is in the middle of the upper two holes and bottom two holes at 160 degrees. Basically half way point. Not sure if im low or a bit too full.
Got a click sound when going from park to reverse, drive etc. Sounds like it could be my torque converter. I just don't see this Jeep lasting.
Urban Dictionary: vehicular hypochondria

Fight it!!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Check your accessory belt. Sometimes when a motor hits compression on shutdown and the accessories want to keep moving you get a chirp. Cummins motors do it a lot.

yea not with that attitude!
X2. A "chirp" usually means belt or pulley or a combination of both.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
my dealer definitely heard it, and after like 3 days, they SAID they pinpointed the noise to the valve body. whether or not thats where it was coming from is yet to be known. after replacement, i still hear it. they said "its almost as if air is escaping"...

id almost say its more than just a chirp, almost like a hoot because sometimes i can hear it go whooooooooooooo and then fades, when i accelerate from a stop (not just a whoo). dunno if a pulley would do that. After the "fix" i just told my dealer to put it on file that i still hear it so if something messes up im not liable

1 - 14 of 14 Posts