Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have this chirping/squeaking noise coming from the engine area when shifting into gears 2-3 and stepping on the gas. It lasts only a moment or so, but sounds like birds chirping or squwaking.

Took it to the dealer today and since I had my clutch replaced about 6 months ago, they immediately checked that, retorqued the mounts, lubed up some stuff, and when I'm driving back from the dealer sure enough the sound is still there.

Any chance this is an issue with the engine belt tensioner, and maybe putting some stickum on the pulleys would help?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Water pumps are notorious for chirping. We were wheeling with a friend this weekend and his six month old 2014 started to do it. Sounds EXACTLY like a bird chirping. And his was making the noise even parked and idling.

He's taking it in to the dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yup..I have it. Done tons of searches and still haven't found it. There are a couple threads on it right now, do a search on chirp or squeak and you'll find them. Bushings are usually the culprit, bound up somewhere and they chirp when the jeep is under load like when you shift.

Sway bar bushings and links will cause it. Make sure there's not a rubber cable shield rubbing somewhere under there. Check wheels, brake calipers. Just have to get under there and start moving stuff around. I can't reproduce mine when sitting still, have to be driving.

Any suspension modifications?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Probs your Water pump same thing I took it to the dealer and didn't pay a thing or a heat shield touching , and is it only when the engine is hot ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No suspension mods - just wheel spacers. Happens whether the engine is warm or cold. Sounds like it's coming from like the middle of the engine compartment, sometimes I don't even have to be shifting and I give it a tap of the gas and it chirps.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
if it goes away when you touch the clutch, you've got a bad throw out bearing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No suspension mods - just wheel spacers. Happens whether the engine is warm or cold. Sounds like it's coming from like the middle of the engine compartment, sometimes I don't even have to be shifting and I give it a tap of the gas and it chirps.
Yeah, the sudden/quick load on the drive train does it. I'm ruling out clutch because I can just punch the gas at a higher rpm and get it to do it.

Still hunting..I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah, the sudden/quick load on the drive train does it. I'm ruling out clutch because I can just punch the gas at a higher rpm and get it to do it. Still hunting..I'll keep you posted.
I'll bet it's a pulley. Does it disappear when you throw water on it or when it rains? Most of the time it's the tensioner pulley. They do wear out eventually and sometimes freeze creating quite a repair...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll bet it's a pulley. Does it disappear when you throw water on it or when it rains? Most of the time it's the tensioner pulley. They do wear out eventually and sometimes freeze creating quite a repair...
I did power wash the underneath after a beach trip and it went away for a month. Any advice on how or what to do to check or rule this out?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I did power wash the underneath after a beach trip and it went away for a month. Any advice on how or what to do to check or rule this out?
If you can't narrow down the sound to which pulley, the tensioner pulley is pretty cheap so you might as well just replace it (just the pulley. Not the tensioner). It's usually pretty easy I think it's just a hex bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts