Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to chase down a chirping noise coming from my 2015 Rubicon/Automatic (~1000 miles on the clock).

I've had it at the dealer three times. They've heard the noise but haven't been able to isolate it. I can't drive with the windows down or the top off as the sound is high pitched enough to cut through radio noise.

I've had the water pump replaced already as it was chirping when idling at a full stop.

Symptoms:
High-Pitched Chirping coming from car when driving at speeds. Most consistent chirp when car is warm and going 30+MPH. However, still occurs somewhat at lower speeds until complete stop.

Troubleshooting of the chirping sound.
Tried the following with no changes on the chirping sound whatsoever
-Light/Hard Braking
-Accelerating
-Turning either direction (under power or braking)
-Shifting into neutral. (Coasted down a hill at ~40 in neutral, vehicle was still making the noise).

Looking for suggestions on things to look for or try. Supposedly the dealer checked the ujoints already...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Water pump has been replaced as I was getting a chirping out of that when the car wasn't moving.

Also, when braking, there is no change in the sound.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Chasing down noises can be difficult, lots of trial and error.
Is it completely stock? If not start with any changes.
With only 1k on the odometer, I'd ask for a loaner and tell the dealer to call me when it's silent or my new Jeep is ready for pickup.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There have been problems which involved the serpentine belt tensioner pulley causing the sound you're describing. I would have the dealer looking at that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chasing down noises can be difficult, lots of trial and error.
Is it completely stock? If not start with any changes.
With only 1k on the odometer, I'd ask for a loaner and tell the dealer to call me when it's silent or my new Jeep is ready for pickup.
Yea it's getting to that point. I brought it to a different dealer, they took the brakes apart (after I've made it clear that hitting the brakes doesn't change the sound in any way).

They claim it to be normal brake noise, which it's obviously not.

Not sure where to go from this point.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You can try pulling up on the parking brake slightly when it is making the noise. If the chirping remains, that would at least rule out the parking brake shoes rubbing.

Otherwise, I agree with what Fungun said. If they try to tell you it's normal, then ask to go for a ride in another 2015 on the lot, which, according to them, should make the same noise.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
seems like 2015's have this chirping noise more and more. mine has it but different symptoms. mine only does it when slowing down. replaced the tranny valve body and it still makes the noise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have 150 miles on a brand new 2015 Hard Rock and I am experiencing the same thing. Chirping/squeaking noise at all speeds and it doesn't go away with braking or turning. Will be going back to the dealer and hoping they can locate the issue.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Maybe a bad CV joint in the front or rear drive shaft?
The only way I can think to test this would be to disengage the transfer case (N) and with the Jeep not running, rotate the tires/axles/drive shafts. Pinpointing the noise front to rear would likely require dropping a driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I read in the owners manual too tha the ESC makes a clicking sound if there is an issue with it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I read a while back, one guy experienced a chirp once the engine was at temp. One of the pullys slightly rubs the engine block creating the high pitch noise. Maybe check that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow, I have this exact issue. 2015 JKUR (~500 miles) I'll start by saying I'm no master mechanic but all the signs are telling me it's a bearing somewhere.

I will start driving and I won't hear the noise (cold start / windows down, actively listening for it). Roughly 5 minutes into driving it'll start hearing it faintly. By the end of my 40 minute commute through country roads at 30-45mph it's just chirping along, like stated above, high pitched and loud enough to cut through the radio.

To my untrained ears the frequency and noise level aren't impacted by accelerating or braking. It's merely a 30+ mph chirp that is annoying. I don't feel any play in the steering wheel and the vehicle seems super solid otherwise (lug nuts have all been removed while I hunted for something obvious and then re-torqued to spec).

I'm thinking it could be a miss-manufactured wheel bearing...if that's possible. I prefer to stay away from dealerships as much as possible, really only to buy the oil filter they sell so I can use that to staple my oil receipt to and mark the mileage.

I guess I'm just hoping someone else who had this issue was able to get it resolved so I can tell the dealer what's wrong instead of them throwing darts at a wall, deciding what to replace next.

Ideas?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2013 and was finally able to bring it to the dealer while it was doing it. They had their engine guy look at it, he immediately put his stetescope on the water pump and told that I had to take an appointment to have it replsced.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts