Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 98' TJ with 6 Inch lift and 35's. I had the 30 In front and 35 diff in back with 3.07 gears. I am having a dana 44 put In with 4.56 gears and regearing the front as well. My question is that the Dana 44 that the 4wheel parts wants to install comes with a Detroit locker. Do I want that or should I have one ordered without and get an arb locker later? It will be my DD for now, but want it to be locked for when I take it up to the trails. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
They should be able to put in an arb instead of a detroit for a lil bit more money. Thats usually the options on new ones

·
Knows a couple things...
49,488 Posts
If your transmission is the 5 speed manual, you should go with 4.88 gearing which is the ideal street, highway, and offroad ratio. 4.56 isn't quite enough gear to completely restore the power loss caused by the 35's larger diameter.

Regarding the Detroit Locker, I loved mine. The only reasons I would not install one would be if you ever have to drive on icy roads, or if someone else will be driving it who you wouldn't trust to be able to spend a day or two to learn how it likes to be driven. Detroit Lockers are very well behaved once you learn how they like to be driven which is easily done. I now have a different TJ with a selectable locker but I really miss my old bulletproof Detroit Locker.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I bought a 98' TJ with 6 Inch lift and 35's. I had the 30 In front and 35 diff in back with 3.07 gears. I am having a dana 44 put In with 4.56 gears and regearing the front as well. My question is that the Dana 44 that the 4wheel parts wants to install comes with a Detroit locker. Do I want that or should I have one ordered without and get an arb locker later? It will be my DD for now, but want it to be locked for when I take it up to the trails. any ideas?
Since you are in Oregon, check with "R&P 4WD" who knows more about building strong axles than 4wheel Parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts