Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Girls,

My AEV 2.5" Dualsport (with Geo Correction Brackets) should be arriving today :dance:

I've done lots of research (mostly threads from all of you...so, thank you!) and my plan is to document the hell out of this install...to hopefully help someone else out in the future :thumb:

As the days are numbered before I start my first major mod...I would love to hear from anyone who has the AEV 2.5 Dualsport.

Bring it on...the good, the bad, the ugly! Did you install exactly per the kit design? Did you change anything? Are you happy? Knowing what you know now...could you have done something to make your install smoother?

Thanks so much. This forum rocks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ya ever hear of the grinch that stole christmas (in July)? c'mon...no love? :D Where's my AEV Brotherhood?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm watching intently as one day I hope to join your ranks, but sadly I have no input for ya. Good luck with the install, though!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm watching intently as one day I hope to join your ranks, but sadly I have no input for ya. Good luck with the install, though!
I'm gonna do my best with really heavy documentation of the install of the AEV 2.5. Pics, what tools and sizes, filling in blanks in the instructions, etc. Hoping it will be helpful for others...and from a shelfish standpoint...I think it will slow me down and make me more thorough during the install :thumb:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I will be doing this install in 3 weeks so I'm really looking forward to the details. If I can get to it earlier I will add to the discussion if able.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be doing this install in 3 weeks so I'm really looking forward to the details. If I can get to it earlier I will add to the discussion if able.
Cool! Even though it's arriving today...I have a few things I need to take care of first...so the actual install may not start for a few weeks. However, there's a lot of "prep" that I plan to document too...like all the tools I need to gather...trimming the Rubicon Rock Rails (to make room for the eventual 35's)...etc.

Should be fun!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Its really pretty straight forward... no I didn't change anything. Why would you? Their R&D budget and engineering expertise is far and away greater than mine... install per instruction and you have a fine setup.

Do the Geo Correction Brackets one side at a time... and torque the bolts AFTER you get the wheels back on the ground. Impact tools would've been nice... but I managed.

Nothing else to compare to, but I'm very happy with it.

*edit*- Trimming the Rubicon rails not necessary, I did trim the front air dam just a little bit. The tires would rub it ever so slightly at full lock.

·
Registered
823 Posts
^what 'blkfenders' said. Especially the part about torquing the bolts once on the ground. I didn't get the Geo correcting brackets due to the loss in ground clearance and its rides great without them, but I've heard they are a great addition, so I can only imagine it would be even smoother with them. I also added extended brakelines during the install but they're not necessary. Good luck on the install! You'll love it! :thumb:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only issues on the 6-7 installs I've done is Rust/seized bolts. YOU won't have that problem :D
It was actually one of the deciding points for doing it now...gotta be nice working on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its really pretty straight forward... no I didn't change anything. Why would you? Their R&D budget and engineering expertise is far and away greater than mine... install per instruction and you have a fine setup.

Do the Geo Correction Brackets one side at a time... and torque the bolts AFTER you get the wheels back on the ground. Impact tools would've been nice... but I managed.

Nothing else to compare to, but I'm very happy with it.

*edit*- Trimming the Rubicon rails not necessary, I did trim the front air dam just a little bit. The tires would rub it ever so slightly at full lock.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. I don't think their would be rubbing on the road...but I've measured and it seems almost impossible not to rub the rock rail with the 35's under flex. Anyway, the rock rail trim is "easy enough" to let me get my feet wet with a more moderate "mod" before jumping into the lift :punk: Besides changing the oil...I'm new to this here jeep stuff...

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts
It was actually one of the deciding points for doing it now...gotta be nice working on a new vehicle.
X10 Going to be easy. You will need to grind down plastic to access a upper shock bolt (dremel)
Most have you bolt up the rear bumpstops earlier in the instructions. Save them for last so you can get to the CA bolt torquing at ride height.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have had my AEV 2.5 installed for a year now. I recently swapped out the Bilstein shocks for Rancho 9000 adjustable ones. That change made a whole new vehicle out of the Jeep for me. Of the many thousands of dollars I have spent on modifications, the Rancho shocks were one of the very best investments I have made. Some have commented that the AEV 2.5 with Bilstein's rides and handles best when the vehicle is heavily loaded, especially with after market bumpers, a winch, etc. Mine has all of that and more and I still had grown very tired of the ride and handling provided by the Bilstein shocks. Otherwise I think you will really like the lift.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was hoping for a Christmas in July sale.. Looking at this lift myself. Look forward to your install.

Were is the best deal to be had on that lift?

Smitty

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^what 'blkfenders' said. Especially the part about torquing the bolts once on the ground. I didn't get the Geo correcting brackets due to the loss in ground clearance and its rides great without them, but I've heard they are a great addition, so I can only imagine it would be even smoother with them. I also added extended brakelines during the install but they're not necessary. Good luck on the install! You'll love it! :thumb:
Thanks for the feedback mudrunner :thumb: Appreciated. Yeah, I'm sold on the geo brackets...gonna put them on while under there for the lift. Also, I've decided to ride around on the stock rubi tires/wheels for a couple weeks after the install. Reason: I want to see how the Jeep behaves with the new lift. That way, any changes (positive and/or negative) from the way it was before (stock) I will be able to attribute to the lift. In other words, if there was some weird feeling after the install AND I had new wheels and 35's on...it would be much harder to understand what's going on. So....after a couple of weeks of looking funny...I'll then buy and put on my new shoes...

Can't wait dammit...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was hoping for a Christmas in July sale.. Looking at this lift myself. Look forward to your install.

Were is the best deal to be had on that lift?

Smitty
Smitty...unfortunately, AEV is crazy strict with pricing and even their distributors never seem to discount it at all. I finally went with Northridge 4x4 because they atleast had FREE shipping (truly FREE...don't get fooled by some other's FREE shipping...)

I think it's going to be worth every penny, though

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had my AEV 2.5 installed for a year now. I recently swapped out the Bilstein shocks for Rancho 9000 adjustable ones. That change made a whole new vehicle out of the Jeep for me. Of the many thousands of dollars I have spent on modifications, the Rancho shocks were one of the very best investments I have made. Some have commented that the AEV 2.5 with Bilstein's rides and handles best when the vehicle is heavily loaded, especially with after market bumpers, a winch, etc. Mine has all of that and more and I still had grown very tired of the ride and handling provided by the Bilstein shocks. Otherwise I think you will really like the lift.
Thanks for the feedback Phaedrus. Can you be more detailed about what you mean by the Bilstein ride? What did you not like about it? Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
X10 Going to be easy. You will need to grind down plastic to access a upper shock bolt (dremel)
Most have you bolt up the rear bumpstops earlier in the instructions. Save them for last so you can get to the CA bolt torquing at ride height.
:thumb: You are a gentleman and a scholar, and a fine judge of...

Are you hungry and thirsty? I may be documenting the best pizza and beer to attract nearby jeepers during the install, too...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts