Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install new rear axle in my JKR. There is 4340 ChroMo and 4140 ChroMo. 4340 is more expensive. Just wondering if its worth spending the extra cash. Anyone know much about it. I called Revolution and they said 4340 isn't needed but they do not offer 4340. Yukon axles are 4340. I don't mind spending extra is worth it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I believe if you get the Revolution 4340s they have a lifetime warranty but I think the 4140 has a time based warranty IIRC.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Revolution does not carry 4340 axles. There more expensive axles are American made, other in India. They said 4340 was not needed. Yukon's are 4340.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I doubt there is enough difference to justify any material increase in cost. FWIW, I run Ten Factory 4140 chromoly shafts with 37s on a heavy JKUR (6400 lbs) that sees a lot of off road use. They have held up great.

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
Well depending on who you believe 1541H for our rear axles in general is the preferred choice. 4140 or 4340 is better when it comes to twisting forces but 1541H is better when it comes to bending forces like we see with the flange on the rear axles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A common failure of rear axle shafts is that they bend at the flange and cause a brake squeak as a symptom. Make sure the manufacturer warranties for bent flange.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I went with Revolution. Made in the USA. Available with the bearings already pressed on. Expensive, but they warranty against a bent flange. But I haven't been able to bend one yet! Both my stockers were bent and had squeaky brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts