Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently have had ARB lockers installed, front and rear. My front axle is the stock Dana 30 and the rear is a 31 spline 8.8. My Jeep is a 1998 sport, auto, 4.0.

My question is should I install chromoly front shafts in the Dana 30 or will the stock ones be good to go. Same with the 8.8. I'm currently running 33x12.5-15 tires and will not be going any larger.
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had the 1541h shafts installed in the rear when I added truetracs. Little more flexible than chromoly. Didnt change out the front but did have a truetrac there too. Only planned on running 33's so it didnt seem overly concerning. Never had an issue, but only ran it like that a year before the frame became too much of a concern to keep it any longer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I wouldn’t bother with upgraded shafts given your tire size and terrain in which you offroad. If you step up to 35s then chromoly shafts in the D30 would be a solid upgrade.

We run stock shafts in our 8.8 equipped XJ with 35s. Three runs through the Rubicon Trail without issue.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,836 Posts
No real need for chromoly shafts for 33's. Just don't put your front axle shafts into a high stress position by giving it a lot of gas when the steering wheel is cranked hard against the stops and you're in 4lo. The front axle shaft u-joints and the axle shaft ears that hold the u-joints see the most stress then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts