Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do u guys know about the chrysler 8.25 rear end its from a cherokee. could it handle 35s ive never really seen a thread on these and they are cheap to buy plz give me any input u have on them

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
it is a slight improvement over the d35, but i've never seen anyone use them as a real upgrade. i was curious of this to, but it just doesn't seem to be as strong as the d44. i have the axle you're talking about in my xj.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i figured but my d35 is goin and i cant seem to ever find a dana 44 at the right time and i dont wanna have to put money into the 35 thats y im wondering if itd be worth it to run the 8.25 with soa

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
if you're d35 is done, and you're runnin soa and big tires, just replace it with a d 44 min. or ford 8.8 thats my opinion, one of these two axles is only gonna cost at most another hundred smackers, while you're there just spend the money, or wait another few weeks and save a hundred bux.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
SOA usually means BIG tires... right?

Try to find a full size Cherokee with narrow track D44's front and rear. Then you're set.

And yeah, the 8.25 is a decent axle, but mildly better than the D35.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent done the soa yet i have the rubicon express soa setup at my house now im just waitin till i can find a rear end for it. the problem is i never find the axles when i have the extra cash and when i do find them i usually have more important stuff to pay off. ive just become real impatiant on the wait to get it done and lookin for a cheaper way out. but ill prolly hold off anyway bein as i want a good wheeler. i just wanted some info on these axles as ive never really heard anything about them and they seem to be a dime a dozen and if it would work i could pick it up this weekend then start savin for the highsteer and sye

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
The only real reason you find so many is because they were under the majority of XJ Cherokees. You may even find a couple of D44's under them(rare '87-'89) or even better chance of finding a D44 under a Comanche pickup.

But if you want to use an 8.25 for a place holder that is fine. If the 8.25 comes out from a '97-'01 XJ, it'll be the stronger 29spline shafts that are 1.21" in diameter. Anything before '97 will have 27spline shafts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An 8.25 is a substantially better axle......

than a d35. The real problem is aftermarket support for them, it never really came. You have choices with an 8.8 or D44.........Choice makes for less expensive.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts