Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,855 Posts
Just took mine in with 23K miles... #2 misfire. They did some electronic reset and CEL did not come back on so they gave it back to me without a new head. They did fix the transmission tube recall item however... after a year of waiting.
Ask if they did the leak-down test. That seems to be the trigger to a new head.

They can shut the light off many times and send you on your way....

·
Registered
8 Posts
need bulletin

Can anyone send me or post here the extended warranty they sent you?...I have a 2012 Wrangler and just paid 400 TO A DEALER to replace a coil..yet it plainly shows the problem was the misfires.. they did NOT fix the problem and I am going after that 400 bucks along with the head repair. However I never received a warranty notice, yet a repair shop got my vin pulled and Im covered...I just need a copy and cant find it anywhere on the net..I need to take this with me to the dealer to fight for my reinbursment! Please help!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am the original owner of a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and had the head replaced. I have not received jack from Chrysler.
Did you pay for the head?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread but need the hive's help on this...
I just got the P0302 light after almost 73000 miles. Called the dealership and the knob on the phone just said that it really didnt cover wranglers so its probably just a coil or some other issue causing the misfire code. I educated him that we also had the same symptoms and received the letter from Chrysler with the extended warranty. He said they would run a check on it to see if it was the head for $160 which would be covered by the warranty if it was in fact the issue... but that I would need to provide all the maintenance history on the vehicle to make a claim. I have done all my own maintenance and didnt save the receipts or anything so I dont know what to do. I could have sworn that there was some legal precedence set where the courts found that illegal to force someone to provide documentation when the burden of proof that there was neglect was on the manufacturer.
Anyone have any insight into this? Should I just go for it with a different dealership that isnt full of knobs and go without maintenance logs? Or is there some info someone might have on this?
I have changed my oil every 3000-4000 miles with Castrol 5w30 and take good care of my Jeep. Hate to get screwed over for being a bad bookkeeper.

·
Super Moderator
2,007 Posts
I could have sworn that there was some legal precedence set where the courts found that illegal to force someone to provide documentation when the burden of proof that there was neglect was on the manufacturer.
You may be thinking of the magnuson moss act. But that just says that manufacturers cannot force you to exclusively use their products, unless they provide them free of charge

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just got my 2012 back from the dealer 2 days ago. Took it for a misfire code and airbag recall. Told them to only do warranty work. They called me later to say it needed a new head and they would need it a few days. I was not required to pay anything or provide maintenance records. I also do all my own maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread but need the hive's help on this...
I just got the P0302 light after almost 73000 miles. Called the dealership and the knob on the phone just said that it really didnt cover wranglers so its probably just a coil or some other issue causing the misfire code. I educated him that we also had the same symptoms and received the letter from Chrysler with the extended warranty. He said they would run a check on it to see if it was the head for $160 which would be covered by the warranty if it was in fact the issue... but that I would need to provide all the maintenance history on the vehicle to make a claim. I have done all my own maintenance and didnt save the receipts or anything so I dont know what to do. I could have sworn that there was some legal precedence set where the courts found that illegal to force someone to provide documentation when the burden of proof that there was neglect was on the manufacturer.
Anyone have any insight into this? Should I just go for it with a different dealership that isnt full of knobs and go without maintenance logs? Or is there some info someone might have on this?
I have changed my oil every 3000-4000 miles with Castrol 5w30 and take good care of my Jeep. Hate to get screwed over for being a bad bookkeeper.
Find another dealer.

Do you have a detailed log of all the maintenance you did? I'd have that just in case, and not offer it unless the new dealer asks for it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is one reason I take my vehicles to the dealer for all recommended maintenance when it is under warranty. A friend of mine who use to work in the service department at a dealership explained it to me like this. If you are a regular customer, they see you as their customer, and they will go out of their way to make things right for you. They dont want to lose you as a valued customer. If you bought your car 5 years ago and then you show up for the 1st time since you bought your car for warranty work, They don't really care if they piss you off, you aren't coming back anyway.

After that I quit doing my own oil changes under warranty.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is one reason I take my vehicles to the dealer for all recommended maintenance when it is under warranty. A friend of mine who use to work in the service department at a dealership explained it to me like this. If you are a regular customer, they see you as their customer, and they will go out of their way to make things right for you. They dont want to lose you as a valued customer. If you bought your car 5 years ago and then you show up for the 1st time since you bought your car for warranty work, They don't really care if they piss you off, you aren't coming back anyway.

If you don't mind paying dealer service prices and double checking everything they do. I don't go to my dealers service department because they suck. I expect to get my JK back in at least the same condition as I dropped it off, but the a**holes can't even put things back together properly. Twisted radiator cover with the pins pushed in crooked, radiator cap crooked and not seated properly, and the grille corners not seated. Now I have to cross my fingers and hope they can replace my airbag without destroying something. I only found one service department I trust, but they are over an hour away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So my 2015 JKU has developed a "ticking" sound on the right/passenger side. Sounds like a lifter or valve ticking to me.. The dealers Jeep mechanic also agreed after hearing it, so it's scheduled for tear down starting this Saturday...

I've not heard anyone here mention a ticking noise relating to the head issue... My check engine light has also not came on either.

Thoughts? I'm hoping for a new head... Also most everyone here mentions the drivers side head is the problem, I've got just the opposite. Should I ask for BOTH to be replaced?

·
Registered
13 Posts

I can see your point and do somewhat the same here.. Jeep dealer I use is close, 18 miles away.. Closers ones not not as good and I have one that's 300 yards away from my work.... NOPE!

The only thing I still do is change my own oil as I use Amsoil full synthetic, grade recommended by OEM.

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
So my 2015 JKU has developed a "ticking" sound on the right/passenger side. Sounds like a lifter or valve ticking to me.. The dealers Jeep mechanic also agreed after hearing it, so it's scheduled for tear down starting this Saturday...

I've not heard anyone here mention a ticking noise relating to the head issue... My check engine light has also not came on either.

Thoughts? I'm hoping for a new head... Also most everyone here mentions the drivers side head is the problem, I've got just the opposite. Should I ask for BOTH to be replaced?
If you Google "Pentastar Tick" you'll see the head problem mentioned several times. Many people who complained about the tick had bad heads. A valve guide/guides were often the problem, typically with the left head. Rocker arms, lifters, and cam failure can cause a tick as well, and the head doesn't have to be bad for that. You can ask to have both heads replaced, don't expect it to be covered under warranty, unless both heads are bad. Odds are at the very least you'll be paying to have one of the heads replaced, assuming the other is bad. W/O a CEL it gets dicey too. I'd be certain what the warranty is going to cover and not cover, if it is still intact. The last thing you want is a big bill. Let them make the diagnosis, the fact they agreed something is wrong w/o a CEL is a good start.

Good luck keep us updated.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Mine is an early build 2014 JK. 5 months passed the 5/100k warranty with 62k on it. 2nd owner.

Loud Tick developed on the Passenger side. Got it in to the dealer within 2 weeks/1200 miles (fiance has a longish commute) Mech confirmed tick on passenger side in 2 places. Drivers side OK.

Tear down revealed at least 2 of the rockers were bad and they scored the cams. all rockers, tappets? and both cams replaced on the passenger side. Jeep covered all but $500. Being out of warranty I felt very lucky Jeep covered what they did. A good Dealer is key to getting things covered. having said that, FCA knows they have a problem with the Pentastar rockers going bad randomly at low mileage intervals. IMO it is NOT related to the 2013 Drivers head recall but Im posting this here to answer broomies issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same ticking in my 2015 Grand Cherokee (same engine). Jeep went through the heads and refitted some/all of the parts for free. Truck had 89,000 miles but it was covered under 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you Google "Pentastar Tick" you'll see the head problem mentioned several times. Many people who complained about the tick had bad heads. A valve guide/guides were often the problem, typically with the left head. Rocker arms, lifters, and cam failure can cause a tick as well, and the head doesn't have to be bad for that. You can ask to have both heads replaced, don't expect it to be covered under warranty, unless both heads are bad. Odds are at the very least you'll be paying to have one of the heads replaced, assuming the other is bad. W/O a CEL it gets dicey too. I'd be certain what the warranty is going to cover and not cover, if it is still intact. The last thing you want is a big bill. Let them make the diagnosis, the fact they agreed something is wrong w/o a CEL is a good start.

Good luck keep us updated.
OK my update to my situation... I got my Wrangler back from the dealer last Thursday.... The mechanic (Nick) replaced the entire head assembly on the passenger side with a new one. Also both camshafts on same side. these 3 items along with all the related gaskets and fluids plus labor as a couple buck shy of $2,200. All covered by Chrysler thru the extended warranty.

I read about these horror stories of other Wrangler owners here and I told my wife I feel very blessed to have a good relationship with my Jeep dealer and an honest knowledgeable mechanic to work with.. I can just imagine the total frustration many have experienced. :pcwhack:

101 - 120 of 153 Posts