Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
OK my update to my situation... I got my Wrangler back from the dealer last Thursday.... The mechanic (Nick) replaced the entire head assembly on the passenger side with a new one. Also both camshafts on same side. these 3 items along with all the related gaskets and fluids plus labor as a couple buck shy of $2,200. All covered by Chrysler thru the extended warranty.

I read about these horror stories of other Wrangler owners here and I told my wife I feel very blessed to have a good relationship with my Jeep dealer and an honest knowledgeable mechanic to work with.. I can just imagine the total frustration many have experienced. :pcwhack:
:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
2015 jeep wrangler sport S jk. (103,400km)

Got the dreaded P0306 code yesterday on my way home from work. First code ever on my jeep. Started running like crap, 50%+ reduction in power, check engine light flashing and dinging. Felt like the engine was gonna die at a red light.

In a shop now getting it looked at. Compression/leak down test looked all good. Replacing all spark plugs and the 3 hard to get at coils on the driver's side.

My mechanic says the #6 coil was weak and the spark plug in #6 was barely firing. Here is a pic of the number 6 spark plug.

They are buttoning it up now, hope this fixes it. Update to come...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
2015 jeep wrangler sport S jk. (103,400km)

Got the dreaded P0306 code yesterday on my way home from work. First code ever on my jeep. Started running like crap, 50%+ reduction in power, check engine light flashing and dinging. Felt like the engine was gonna die at a red light.

In a shop now getting it looked at. Compression/leak down test looked all good. Replacing all spark plugs and the 3 hard to get at coils on the driver's side.

My mechanic says the #6 coil was weak and the spark plug in #6 was barely firing. Here is a pic of the number 6 spark plug.

They are buttoning it up now, hope this fixes it. Update to come...

All fixed, purring like a kitten again. We shall see if the code comes back, first 60km and it's all good. Cost me $673.00 cdn.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
All fixed, purring like a kitten again. We shall see if the code comes back, first 60km and it's all good. Cost me $673.00 cdn.

That will cause a misfire for sure. The good news is you didn't need a cylinder head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the extension is only on the left head. :atomic:
Left head meaning the drivers side I take it... Mine was the right passenger side. Ticking valve noise, no check engine light so no codes either... Chrysler covered a complete new head, both camshafts, plugs and all related gaskets and fluids at 100% on a 2015 with 63K miles.

After reading thru allot of the horror stories others have had I believe allot of it boils down to how the dealership and mechanic write up the request for warranty work. You would think they'd want the service work as no brainer to get paid for labor.

My dealer is located in a small town in Midwestern, OH, population of 1,518, Fort Loramie, OH. They are super to deal with, can't say enough good things about their service. Honest but still fair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 JK Unlimited Sport 50,000 miles, 4 years 11 months old, running fine but throwing po302, misfire #2 cylinder. Replaced #2 coil, #2 plug, and #2 fuel injector, still throwing code. Took to dealer they put a new head on, covered by 5 year warrantee barely. Thought they had fixed this with a redesign……..guess not entirely.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,304 Posts
2015 JK Unlimited Sport 50,000 miles, 4 years 11 months old, running fine but throwing po302, misfire #2 cylinder. Replaced #2 coil, #2 plug, and #2 fuel injector, still throwing code. Took to dealer they put a new head on, covered by 5 year warrantee barely. Thought they had fixed this with a redesign……..guess not entirely.
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, My 2012 JKUR (100K miles) was getting the #2 misfire, replaced plugs and coils in early July. Code went away for about a week. Came back and has gone off/on twice since.

Dropping off at dealer tomorrow to get airbag recall fixed, and having them look at the code as well. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just heard back from dealer.. 17% leak in cylinder 2.. the extended warranty only covers if over 25%. Gotta call Chrysler and get them to do it anyway.. luck needed again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just heard back from dealer.. 17% leak in cylinder 2.. the extended warranty only covers if over 25%. Gotta call Chrysler and get them to do it anyway.. luck needed again.
It's crap like this that just makes you shake your head...and then.... :atomic:

Good luck and please report back when you have a resolution.

<D>

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2017 JKU WIllys is currently sitting in the dealerships garage.

P0302 Missfire.

they pulled it appart, #2 had 20% leakdown (100psi vs 130psi on other 5 cyclinders). Rockers and lifters were bad as well.

Its getting a while new drivers side head, gaskets, lifters and rockers. GM is not covering it under warranty as i'm outside my warranty by 3K miles, even though i'm in by time (bought new Feb '17) but out by mileage (trips from FL to colorado for wheeling will rack up the miles).

thankfully the extended warranty i got at purchase is covering the $2500 repair...

·
Registered
329 Posts
My 2017 JKU WIllys is currently sitting in the dealerships garage.

P0302 Missfire.

they pulled it appart, #2 had 20% leakdown (100psi vs 130psi on other 5 cyclinders). Rockers and lifters were bad as well.

Its getting a while new drivers side head, gaskets, lifters and rockers. GM is not covering it under warranty as i'm outside my warranty by 3K miles, even though i'm in by time (bought new Feb '17) but out by mileage (trips from FL to colorado for wheeling will rack up the miles).

thankfully the extended warranty i got at purchase is covering the $2500 repair...

I can see why GM wouldn’t cover it ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a used 2013 with 34,000 miles in April of this year. It had a slight ticking from the beginning but I never worried about it. It got worse, followed by a P0304 code being thrown at around 43,000 miles. Chrysler wouldn’t cover the cracked cylinder head, but luckily the dealer offers a 10yr/200k powertrain warranty on their used cars. That took care of the $2200 repair. Fingers crossed it doesn’t reappear.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
That sucks. I'd keep driving it until it lets go. It amazes me how stupid a company and its management can be. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
That sucks. I'd keep driving it until it lets go. It amazes me how stupid a company and its management can be. Good luck!
Yes, that's my plan. Called Chrysler and they will "follow up" with me. I"ll be keeping on them... and have it checked again when it's closer to 150K before out of warranty.

:atomic:

·
Registered
65 Posts
2014 Rubicon Tick

I have a 2014 Rubicon, purchased new.
Has a tick in the right side at 66,000 miles.
I have the Max Care warranty, took it to the dealer. They called yesterday, said I had to agree to pay for disassembly(650.00), before they would disassemble to check cause. In case it's not covered...
Today, it's 3 rocker arm bearings.
Have to wait for the Service Rep to come tomorrow, to look at for approval, because the total is over 2000.00. (The swaybar disconnect requires a control box change making it over the 2000.00 limit.)
They would not disassemble without the promise to pay.
Is this normal?

Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
Harley, just a note as I too have a 14unlimited Rubicon. Got the p0304 code yesterday and was going to pull it apart until I read the history of the Pentastar cylinder issue. I took it to the dealer this morning and got the call a few minutes ago that the head needs replacement. 41k miles. Cost me 100 deductible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I brought my 17 JKU w/33K in to the dealer today with a P0306 code. They will be replacing the cylinder head, but they are on back order nationally and the wait is months. I called 1800Chrysler to expedite, but not sure how much that helps.

I’ll keep driving it unless something seems way off.

·
Super Moderator
22,449 Posts
I brought my 17 JKU w/33K in to the dealer today with a P0306 code. They will be replacing the cylinder head, but they are on back order nationally and the wait is months. I called 1800Chrysler to expedite, but not sure how much that helps.

I’ll keep driving it unless something seems way off.
I would ask for a loaner car. If it lets loose you could be stranded in the middle of no where. .

121 - 140 of 152 Posts