Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
After the CEL went on and off for a few months with only P0300 codes and no specific cylinder I decided to keep driving. Finally P0302 showed up, then P0304 and P0306 show as permanent codes in the ECU.
Drove it over to the dealer because I have to smog it and the CEL came on again.
Sure enough, left side head. FINALLY at 101K miles I was hoping it would pop so it would be covered!
Sure enough, it's covered, all heads on backorder forever.
BUT
They happened to have one at their location that didn't get installed on a customer's car, exact one I need. Hope to have it back shortly.

Hope its smooth sailing from here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would ask for a loaner car. If it lets loose you could be stranded in the middle of no where. .
I did ask the dealer, but they said they were too small and can't provide a loaner. I'm going to drive it and hope for the best. In the meantime I am working with FCA who are trying to expedite a new head. We'll see...

·
Registered
250 Posts
After the CEL went on and off for a few months with only P0300 codes and no specific cylinder I decided to keep driving. Finally P0302 showed up, then P0304 and P0306 show as permanent codes in the ECU.
Drove it over to the dealer because I have to smog it and the CEL came on again.
Sure enough, left side head. FINALLY at 101K miles I was hoping it would pop so it would be covered!
Sure enough, it's covered, all heads on backorder forever.
BUT
They happened to have one at their location that didn't get installed on a customer's car, exact one I need. Hope to have it back shortly.

Hope its smooth sailing from here.
AAAAAAND, thanks Chrysler, another fail. I got the NEW head installed and the mechanic takes it on a test drive to find out the NEW HEAD IS BAD.
Now they have to get Mopar warranty involved to hopefully expedite a replacement. I'm in the same boar as most now, waiting with no vehicle. I'm trying to see if they'll give me a loaner/rental while I'm out a vahicle.
:atomic:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Update:
I really changed my mind about the local dealership (I've had issues with in the past.) I got to work with two great guys there who really worked hard to get this right.
They found another head on the shelf at a local dealership, when I was called they thought it might be another 2 days to get my Jeep back but LATER that DAY the tech had it finished!
Got her back and I'm hoping this is the last I'll be dealing with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I brought my 17 JKU w/33K in to the dealer today with a P0306 code. They will be replacing the cylinder head, but they are on back order nationally and the wait is months. I called 1800Chrysler to expedite, but not sure how much that helps.

I’ll keep driving it unless something seems way off.
Here is the latest update. The new left head came in Tuesday and I dropped it off Wednesday. They did the replacement and broke down on the highway, having to have it towed back. After more work they see issues with the right head and can’t get it running. They showed me a ring/washer about the diameter of a dime that had failed, and noticed rocker wear.

So, they have ordered a full long block that will have two new heads and I’m not sure what else. Really sucks since the hardtop was coming off for the summer and I use my Jeep for light towing. It’s my daily driver and I like having my vehicle. I do have a Cherokee loaner, but need to work with them to find something with a hitch.

Finally, I have no dates given this all transpired yesterday. I love my Jeep and the service manager and techs have done a good job.

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
AAAAAAND, thanks Chrysler, another fail. I got the NEW head installed and the mechanic takes it on a test drive to find out the NEW HEAD IS BAD.
Now they have to get Mopar warranty involved to hopefully expedite a replacement. I'm in the same boar as most now, waiting with no vehicle. I'm trying to see if they'll give me a loaner/rental while I'm out a vahicle.
:atomic:
Having worked in 5 different dealerships over the years, and seeing all kinds of screw ups, it makes me wonder if the techs aren't screwing up the job making the failure rate a lot higher than it really is. Don't get me wrong, not all techs are bad, but the % of bad to good leaves me scratching my head. Reading on several message boards about things like simple oil changes getting messed up reinforces this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Having worked in 5 different dealerships over the years, and seeing all kinds of screw ups, it makes me wonder if the techs aren't screwing up the job making the failure rate a lot higher than it really is. Don't get me wrong, not all techs are bad, but the % of bad to good leaves me scratching my head. Reading on several message boards about things like simple oil changes getting messed up reinforces this.
I totally agree. I’ve had many different vehicles with the last 8 years being jeeps. Jeep/Chrysler Mechanics and dealerships are some of the worst I’ve ever seen. the Dealerships don’t seem to care because the money to be made is from repairs and not vehicle sales. And is pretty funny that you mentioned simple oil changes getting messed up. I’ve read several times that it’s common for Jeep/Chrysler dealers to forget to add new oil after doing a change 😱

·
Super Moderator
7,658 Posts
I totally agree. I’ve had many different vehicles with the last 8 years being jeeps. Jeep/Chrysler Mechanics and dealerships are some of the worst I’ve ever seen. the Dealerships don’t seem to care because the money to be made is from repairs and not vehicle sales. And is pretty funny that you mentioned simple oil changes getting messed up. I’ve read several times that it’s common for Jeep/Chrysler dealers to forget to add new oil after doing a change 😱
Oil changes, simple enough for most, one would think. Forget about grossly over-filled, under-filled, stripped oil pan thread, filters put on so tight you have to resort to gigantic pliers, stabbing holes through them, chiseling them off etc. Or now with these cartridge filter housings being a weak link I wonder how many are destroyed by grossly over-tightening the filter cap? I bet quite a few. I avoid dealers as much as humanly possible. The work quality is often pathetic. The thought of them ripping into an engine or transmission is frightening. Having said that there are good techs, finding one can often be a daunting task!

·
Registered
111 Posts
just had this fixed at around 42k on a 2016.....P0302......2 month wait due to back order.....2 days in shop.....

·
Registered
946 Posts
Isnt a "short block "a better option, what will happen if to....disregard those codes and keep driving until engine gets more damage?
Lets say head goes at 45K, than at 60K+ potentially oil filter housing is near the end and at 80K +eventually rocker arms, i would prefer a new engine before my warranty is gone :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Isnt a "short block "a better option, what will happen if to....disregard those codes and keep driving until engine gets more damage?
Lets say head goes at 45K, than at 60K+ potentially oil filter housing is near the end and at 80K +eventually rocker arms, i would prefer a new engine before my warranty is gone :)
I kept driving as the codes were intermittent. By the time the code was basically on all the time (and then it'd be off for two weeks then on for a month) I had to renew tags and smog, so I had to go. Bad head, as I stated before.

Last week engine light came back on, random misfire, I took it in as I suspected a fail due to previous work. I hope they were truthful in telling me it was pass side coils. Funny thing was they really wanted to me to do all coils and plugs due to mileage (despite new factory plugs put in by me 6 months ago) but I had them do the minimum of three coils. I figured I already had it there (minimum $160 fee) and it should be a quick fix (150 parts). Boy was I wrong. A week later I finally got it back. $436 for three coils on the PASS side. I could do that in 30 minutes! One way or another they'll get your money.
I'll never be back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too have concerns about the quality of work that will be done, but at the same time have to trust they will do it right. We’ll see - need the parts first.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Oil changes, simple enough for most, one would think. Forget about grossly over-filled, under-filled, stripped oil pan thread, filters put on so tight you have to resort to gigantic pliers, stabbing holes through them, chiseling them off etc. Or now with these cartridge filter housings being a weak link I wonder how many are destroyed by grossly over-tightening the filter cap? I bet quite a few. I avoid dealers as much as humanly possible. The work quality is often pathetic. The thought of them ripping into an engine or transmission is frightening. Having said that there are good techs, finding one can often be a daunting task!
Yep. Changing out a head, especially on these engines, is a complex task with many things that must be done exactly right ( ...or can be done wrong.) It is not something to do against the clock but of course it usually is. This is why it is very important that a misfire problem be diagnosed correctly with a compression check to determine with certainty that the head or valves have really failed and the problem is not just a bad rocker or collapsed lifter (especially on 2014 and later vehicles with the updated heads.). You do not want something invasive as a head replacement being performed unless it is truly necessary.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts