Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
When the tech replaced the driver head, and then the P0300 code came up again, and he went in to compression check etc he overtorqued 4 of the upper intake manifold bolts. or should I say screws. They are basically drywall type screw threads that go into the plastic lower manifold.
I then had to take the upper manifold off again to replace the failed oil pressure sensor and cooler housing and when I put the upper intake on I feel the threads are really weak on several. Thanks dealership!
If I get P0300 random misfire code, now with all new coils, then it could be leaking from that junction. I'll have to spring for a new lower intake manifold so I can have fresh plastic for the screws to bite into.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, everyone. Between this and my rear-end woes, the jeep has been a money pit. I'd really enjoy not replacing a head at ~56,000 miles though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,
Very interesting thread. New here primarily because my sons 2016 JKU engine went with 70,000. The problem started 2 weeks ago when it started running rough and the CEL came on saying Coil, Injector, misfire cylinder 5. Took to our local mechanic and $450 later, new coil, and injector in cylinders 5 and 3. Then like clock work, engine blown 2 weeks after the initial problem. Does anyone know if Chrysler extended this service to 2016 models? The Service bulletin only goes to 2014 but I saw one owner with a 2015.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hey guys,
Very interesting thread. New here primarily because my sons 2016 JKU engine went with 70,000. The problem started 2 weeks ago when it started running rough and the CEL came on saying Coil, Injector, misfire cylinder 5. Took to our local mechanic and $450 later, new coil, and injector in cylinders 5 and 3. Then like clock work, engine blown 2 weeks after the initial problem. Does anyone know if Chrysler extended this service to 2016 models? The Service bulletin only goes to 2014 but I saw one owner with a 2015.
No, it wasn't. What actually failed in the engine? I'm guessing there was low compression in one or two cylinders and the shop part monkey'd it without actually diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
422 Posts
What does 'engine blown' mean? But yes, in all likelihood the problem was not not diagnosed correctly and what you really had was a failing rocker arm/valve follower or some other valvetrain issue. The failure rate is much lower after the changes made in 2013 but sadly can still occur. At the very least they should credit the full cost of the prior 'repair' to a proper fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't really know what failed. The dealer said metal in oil pan. Wouldn't start then it did and it sounded like a bolt in a fan. They quoted 11k for a new engine. Or 7k for a used one.

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
I don't really know what failed. The dealer said metal in oil pan. Wouldn't start then it did and it sounded like a bolt in a fan. They quoted 11k for a new engine. Or 7k for a used one.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
Took to our local mechanic and $450 later, new coil, and injector in cylinders 5 and 3. Then like clock work, engine blown 2 weeks after the initial problem.
How did it run after the local mechanic replaced parts?

Were there any CEL codes after the work was done?

Was it driven for two weeks and then your son went out to start the Jeep and it wouldn't start? Did he have it towed to the dealer?

sorry for all the questions...

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did it run after the local mechanic replaced parts?

Were there any CEL codes after the work was done?

Was it driven for two weeks and then your son went out to start the Jeep and it wouldn't start? Did he have it towed to the dealer?

sorry for all the questions...
Not a problem. It ran fine with the new coil and injectors for the short time he used it. No CEL. My son was driving about 35 when he said he heard a noise before the engine cut off. He coasted into a parking lot. Honestly I don't know if there were any CEL when I showed up to help. It wouldn't start I know until I pumped the gas. We called a tow truck and had it towed to the dealer who dropped the oil pan to check it. It is a bit ludicrous to pay 11k for a new engine don't you think?

·
Premium Member
10,157 Posts
Not a problem. It ran fine with the new coil and injectors for the short time he used it. No CEL. My son was driving about 35 when he said he heard a noise before the engine cut off. He coasted into a parking lot. Honestly I don't know if there were any CEL when I showed up to help. It wouldn't start I know until I pumped the gas. We called a tow truck and had it towed to the dealer who dropped the oil pan to check it. It is a bit ludicrous to pay 11k for a new engine don't you think?
I don't have a reference point. Is that with parts+installation? Including tax?

I'd ask the dealer where the replacement engine is coming from. Is it a Mopar remanufactured engine? Is there a warranty that covers parts and labor?

Read this overview and perhaps contact these folks to see what a replacement engine will cost. It appears they use more robust parts when rebuilding them. Establish a reference point...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not a problem. It ran fine with the new coil and injectors for the short time he used it. No CEL. My son was driving about 35 when he said he heard a noise before the engine cut off. He coasted into a parking lot. Honestly I don't know if there
dsinatore Do you have a solution yet? I am having the same problem. Good thing is I don't trust dealership. I replaced coil pack and spark plug myself. Not working. I am contacting Jeep and waiting for their response. If they don't provide any help. They for sure lose a customer in the future and I won't buy anything from Chrysler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Engine is gone. After talking with dealer it wasn't repairable so we are putting a Jasper engine it. All we could do since out of warranty

·
Registered
73 Posts
I still don’t understand why your problem went south. You just replaced coil pack & injector. Isn’t that something common local stores always do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You got me. I think the real problem was the rocker might have been failing causing the false codes. But that is only a guess. Not that knowledgeable to really say.
Mechanic quoted 6-6.5. Waiting to get the engine.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts