Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess since Jeep sales in China have doubled in the last year, It would be cheaper to have them assemble their own vehicles rather than ship them from the US to China, instead of them buying up a bunch of our capacity.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess since Jeep sales in China have doubled in the last year, It would be cheaper to have them assemble their own vehicles rather than ship them from the US to China, instead of them buying up a bunch of our capacity.
Makes me wonder how long until Chrysler considers that it would be cheaper for them to build ALL of the Wranglers over there, shut down Toledo and then import them as needed. If the chinese are willing to make things at 10% of our costs, even if we tariff the crap out of the trade and consider transport costs, it's probably still cheaper to buy a Chinese-made Wrangler that an American version.

Denis

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sweet! Big savings for Chrysler...why, I bet they even raise sticker prices to make up for the fall in quality so that the top few stock holder can store even more money in Switzerland! Bravo!
(When we're all out of jobs, I wonder who's going to buy them?)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am totally against making China any stronger. With that, when was the last time you took a look at the clothes, tools, shoes, electronics or anything else?
Take a look at American content of all cars sold here, and you'll find that the foreign owners use more American content then the American owned companies do (for the most part).
We all need to take a closer look at what we buy here at home. My wife and I even noticed a lot of fish is from China. We are our own worst enemy.
Just my 2 cents
Lew

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Back to the bailout...

Isn't it nice of us to bail their asses out, just so they can pay the country back for the gesture by putting more Americans out of work, plus offering the same people from the same country who helped them shoddy, made in China vehicles?

They take the bailout money. Then they put tens of thousands of people out of work (American factory workers, plus their suppliers' employees...), then move out of the country, therefore NOT helping to rebuild the floundering economy. Nevermind we helped to rebuild their floundering asses.

Screw Chrysler, they move outta the country and I'll get rid of that Rubicon quicker than I can spit. I'll be damned if I'm gonna walk out to my garage every morning and be reminded that I supported a company who dicked us over after we helped them with a shitload of money which could have been used to help rebuild our economy.

Sorry for the rant. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So.. being that Jeep is an icon and a more or less one of a kind vehicle, what would you all replace it with if we all sell our Jeeps off for sending the business to China? I'd be hard pressed to get a Silverado or F150 in some of the trails my Jeep can go into...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Does everyone realize the UAW owns 40% of Chrysler and that Chrysler paid off the loan guaranty early. Also there are openings for 500 people at Auburn Hills and Trenton Engine. Plus they called everyone laid off a long time ago.

Of course I realize there is a cloud for every silver lining.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You all should read the article again. It is a little deceiving.

Here are the quotes from the article:

"Fiat, majority owner of Chrysler Group LLC, plans to return Jeep output to China and may eventually make all of its models in that country"

"Chrysler currently builds all Jeep SUV models at plants in Michigan, Illinois and Ohio. Manley referred to adding Jeep production sites rather than shifting output from North America to China."

Basically they are saying that there is a market for a majority of the jeep models to be sold in China. They will open up additional manufacturing facilities in China to meet that demand, but still keep the plants in North America open as well.

I might open up a can of worms here, but from a business stand point that is very smart. Shipping is expensive.

Based on the article the only loss of production for the North American plants will be whatever was being shipped to be sold in China. The jeeps you buy here in the states will still be made in domestic manufacturing facilities.

It is the same thing that Toyota, Nissan, Kia and Hyundai are doing here.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
So.. being that Jeep is an icon and a more or less one of a kind vehicle, what would you all replace it with if we all sell our Jeeps off for sending the business to China? I'd be hard pressed to get a Silverado or F150 in some of the trails my Jeep can go into...
Not an issue for me, considering I've been on one REAL offroading trip since I've gotten my Jeep. Jeep ain't the only game in town for me. I looked at Ford F-Trucks and Chey Silverados prior to buying my Jeep. No problem here with driving either of them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I can say that i am very happy with my TJ, I have owned 2 JK's and went back to the TJ because the 3.8 sucks. I had planned to buy another new JK in a few years after they get all the penstar problems worked out, plus there are rumors of a possable diesel. Anyway I WILL NOT BUY A WRANGLER MADE IN CHINA!!!!!!!! I will keep my American made TJ until it melts through my driveway. If they just make chinese sold product there than i can see the logic. As long as the Jeep I buy here is made here than I have no problem buying one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have no problem with Jeep making Jeeps sold in China in China. Why not it's just good business. And freight is very expensive on cars/trucks/jeeps. Just like many Asian car manufacturers have plants here in the US.

If they were to shut down the Toledo plant and were shifting there US/Canada car sales there as well I would not be driving a Jeep. I have always owned cars built in America (on purpose now, by accident earlier) and I will continue to do so. At the end of the day consumers drive these types of things. The jeep community would probably take more notice of this then most communities, but I doubt enough of the Jeep community would for it to effect the bottom line.

But I would say of all the possible vehicles the Jeep Wrangler community would probably take more of a notice of it then any other car, nothing quite as quintessential Americana as a Jeep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
rubberjeep said:
I have no problem with Jeep making Jeeps sold in China in China. Why not it's just good business. And freight is very expensive on cars/trucks/jeeps. Just like many Asian car manufacturers have plants here in the US.

If they were to shut down the Toledo plant and were shifting there US/Canada car sales there as well I would not be driving a Jeep. I have always owned cars built in America (on purpose now, by accident earlier) and I will continue to do so. At the end of the day consumers drive these types of things. The jeep community would probably take more notice of this then most communities, but I doubt enough of the Jeep community would for it to effect the bottom line.

But I would say of all the possible vehicles the Jeep Wrangler community would probably take more of a notice of it then any other car, nothing quite as quintessential Americana as a Jeep.
X2 on that

1 - 20 of 140 Posts