Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... Finally ordered one of the MOPAR Jeep headliners after reading so many positive reviews of them on here.

I started putting the headliner pieces on, but I noticed something that made me stop and go "Huh?"

The piece that's identified as the "mid" headliner piece for the top (the part that would go over the back seats of my 4 door Jeep) doesn't look like the right piece.

My hard top has sort of a "bat ears" pattern to the leading edge of the indent where the headliner would press into place, but the piece I received is just a plain rectangle with rounded corners.

Anyone know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
That part is above your sound bar. I think they do that for those attempting to install the HL's while the Top is "On".
It would be tough to get the ears in there.

Nice Head Liners, You'll like them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you talking about the sound bar speakers? It goes on top of those.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm....

Ok... you could be right about that. I have my hard top off my Jeep right now, hanging from my hoist in the garage. So I didn't think about what parts of it are hidden/covered up by the sound-bar when it's installed.

I attached a photo I found of someone's eBay auction for the MOPAR headliner though, where it shows a mid top piece that *does* have these "ears" on it, vs. the photo of the pieces I received.

That part is above your sound bar. I think they do that for those attempting to install the HL's while the Top is "On".
It would be tough to get the ears in there.

Nice Head Liners, You'll like them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
My Genuine Mopar HL's had "No Ears" Did you get the pieces for the back sides?
Six(6) piece set.

Pay no attention to pics off of Fleabay... Lucky they aren't "Pink"

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with RubiconSS....my Mopar headliner kit did not have the "ears" on it either (purchased and installed just a couple of months ago).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you end up with the wrong set for the 2 door? Im looking at getting these for my 16 4 door and want to make sure I get the right PN#.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just got my headliners in the mail today. I had asked on another mopar headliner post if there was a difference between the “AB” vs “AC” models and nobody knew for sure. Looking at the online store pics, I think I see that the “AC” version has those tabs that go under the soundbar. Immediately found this post because for a second I was worried I ordered the wrong part number. I have my hardtop off on a hoist too so preferred the one with the longer tabs, but it’s also $20 more on amazon right now.

Oh well, just in case anyone wants to know the difference since you can easily get both and of course on no site do they tell or show you the difference. Basically this one is shaped just like the HH brand, so for anyone who thinks they need the more expensive branded HH over the Mopar so they don’t have to take the top off, well you no longer have to make that decision.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
I take that back. Looked at product number and mine was “AC” even though I ordered “AB”. Maybe just purely production year I don’t know

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Just got my headliners in the mail today. I had asked on another mopar headliner post if there was a difference between the “AB” vs “AC” models and nobody knew for sure. Looking at the online store pics, I think I see that the “AC” version has those tabs that go under the soundbar. Immediately found this post because for a second I was worried I ordered the wrong part number. I have my hardtop off on a hoist too so preferred the one with the longer tabs, but it’s also $20 more on amazon right now.

Oh well, just in case anyone wants to know the difference since you can easily get both and of course on no site do they tell or show you the difference. Basically this one is shaped just like the HH brand, so for anyone who thinks they need the more expensive branded HH over the Mopar so they don’t have to take the top off, well you no longer have to make that decision.
Where did you find your's?

Edit: found them on amazon.

·
Registered
970 Posts
About the sound bar issue, it's pretty easy to remove the sound bar, which is what I did to install since I didn't want to remove the top.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Insulates the hardtop when cold/hot out, cuts down on some road noise, and gives you a place for your morale patches! Most people are pretty happy with them. I am happy with my set.

Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of these?

Supposed to provide some sound dampening in the cab and prevent all the heat radiating off the hardtop since there is no form of a liner.

Anyways to clarify my earlier post, the AC model number does NOT need to have hardtop removed since the liner doesn’t go under the soundbar. I’m guessing the AB does, but the first poster made it sound like it doesn’t. My headliner has a production year of 2018 so I have no clue now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here’s a pic of my middle liner including the tag. I personally liked the idea of it extending under the soundbar to provide a little more sound and heat restriction, but the seem to fit in place well. Since this seems to be the ones everyone else has, I wonder if the product picture is for the 07-10 JKs instead and Mopar and the other retailers just failed to update their pictures?

Again, I think this is a good selling point they are missing out on. The instructions show to drop the soundbar still but since it doesn’t have those “Batman mask”-ish tabs that slide under, I see no reason to do so. Hope this info helps anyone with a purchase decision.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have the AC version and I needed to drop my sound bar to properly press the double sided tape. It takes about 5 minutes.

Reactions: KUJayDoc

·
Registered
261 Posts
So far so good. We have been stuck in humid mid 90s for the past month, and these things haven't budged. There is a new car/carpet/tape odor initially, one day my wife and I felt like we left a box of leftover Indian food in the back...of course we have never had that, so attributed this to the headliner. That smell is gone now.

I do think you hear a little less rattle noises, but I am not buying reduced sounds in the interior all that much. That's fine, I wanted these for the heat reduction which I feel is outstanding, and the looks of having the top finished. I don't see how adding Dynamat or anything to the hardtop does anything that an adhesive headliner is not already doing. I have seen the whole "strike a cymbal with vs without the stick things" but aren't you already doing that with a sticky headliner? Meh, its your money to waste I guess.

Turns out I stressed out way too much between the Mopar vs Boom Mat vs HH. Without direct head to head road noise and cabin interior temps, its all subjective anyway and once they are in, you don't really look at the roof anyway. I would definitely recommend these for the Amazon $209 price vs the others for $300-450.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts