Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was changing the gear oil in my D35 on my '06 TJ. Now just for some background, I bought my Jeep with about 60k miles. It now has about 120k. This is my first time ever changing the gear oil (I know, that's really bad and I'm sorry).
Anyways, while I was cleaning out the pumpkin I came across the chunk of metal in the picture below. Anybody know what it is or how bad this is?
I couldn't see this big of a piece missing from anything. I'm also including a picture of what I could see for reference (for some reason it's flipped). Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
Is it a magnet? Maybe the previous owner put it in there to attract any metal.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
First thing that came to my mind was "Oh f$%k". Where's the rest?

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Jay14sport might be right. It seems like a magnet and it was sitting in the well in the bottom like someone put it there to catch metal shavings. However it's certainly crudely broken in half. Makes me wonder if the other half is still in there or if the PO just put in half of a magnet. However, there were also a few scratches on the inside of the diff cover like it might have been floating around in there at some point.

It doesn't seem like the right size or shape to be a c-clip (based on my google image search). That being said, I'm planning on upgrading to a Ford 8.8 as soon as I get my annual bonus in a couple months.

Any other thoughts? I'm assuming if it is a magnet I should probably keep it out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
That isn't a c clip. Looks like a magnet, or half of one. Would be pretty simple to check. If the rest isn't in the bottom, it could be in the forward chamber under the pinion. You'd have to pull the carrier to find out.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Is it a magnet? Maybe the previous owner put it in there to attract any metal.

]I think Jay14sport might be right. It seems like a magnet and it was sitting in the well in the bottom like someone put it there to catch metal shavings. ...

Any other thoughts? I'm assuming if it is a magnet I should probably keep it out.
Can someone tell us how to figure out if this thing is a magnet?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Reactions: Crafty42

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
If it attaches itself to your wallet it's definitely a Jeep magnet. If you're a traditionalist, I suppose you could see if this sticks to steel...
I was going to suggest dragging the refrigerator or a filing cabinet into the garage as a testing surface. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I was going to suggest dragging the refrigerator or a filing cabinet into the garage as a testing surface. :)
I was going to suggest dangle it from some string and spin it. If it stopped and one end was pointing to the north, then it's a magnet.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
As stated, I don't believe it is a axle c-clip...this is what they look like.

Also, if that was a magnet, it would have been loaded with metal shavings similar to this...

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Go stick it to some iron. It's a magnet. The broken edges don't look anything like a steel c clip should look like and it has filings stuck to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts