Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '85 CJ5 that will be donating it's engine, trans and transfer case to a CJ8 restoration. I was considering refurbishing the axles and installing them in my YJ. Any thoughts on this idea, good bad or indifferent and has anyone done this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a '85 CJ5 that will be donating it's engine, trans and transfer case to a CJ8 restoration. I was considering refurbishing the axles and installing them in my YJ. Any thoughts on this idea, good bad or indifferent and has anyone done this before?
That's a CJ7.

What axles does it have? It may not be worth the effort. If it has the AMC 20 rear, those can be built into fairly strong axles...or so I've read.

I think (THINK) the '85 has the wide track axle, but I'm not certain.
Depending on whether the front axle is drivers side drop or passenger side drop, it may or may not work. Our YJ's came with drivers side drop, so if you're still running a 231 xfer case a passenger side drop won't work.

What is the WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface) to WMS. If it's narrower than the YJ's that will also negate the effort.

At the very least you will have to reposition the spring perches, and shock mounts.

Also, does the CJ have 2" wide springs or 2.5" wide springs like our YJ's. I think (again THINK) the '85 CJ7 had 2.5".

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
CJ has 2" wide leafs and the YJ has 2.5" wide leafs and the YJ's leafs are spaced farther apart. And the CJ used a passengers side drop so that's backwards and the CJ7 D30 is low pinion so the YJ high pinion is marginally stronger. The only thing the CJ D30 has going for it are the locking hubs and im pretty sure the wide track CJ axles are still narrower than the YJ axles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input. I never about what side the differential is mounted on.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
You've pretty much determined that the front won't work. The rear may work, depends on where the diff is. I don't think it'll bolt in though. If not, it requires welding and cutting obviously. After going through all that work, you might as well use a Ford 8.8 which has lots of available parts.

Reactions: 9T4YJ

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that since the Y J works I will fix what needs to be fixed, get it's maintenance up to date and let it stay on the road while I concentrate on my CJ8 build.

Reactions: chris yoos
1 - 7 of 7 Posts