Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what all is involved with this? I am picking up a cj grill with headlights and turn signals later this week, I have heard I will also need a cj hood but can use the yj fenders. Any chance of using the yj hood? Is the grill a direct bolt in? Have to fab radiator mounts? is the width on them the same?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I picked up the hood and grill the other night, completely stripped both to bare metal and primed them. Started mocking up everything. Looks like it is going to work out well, I am going to have to trim some off the front of the fenders. I had to trim out part of the grill on the bottom to clear the steering box. Radiator looks like it is going to be the trickiest part, I am going to try to mount the radiator inside the grill instead of on the backside like a stock CJ, this will let me have more room since the CJ grill pushes the radiator alot closer to the engine. After I get everything moked up and done, the whole jeep is going to get painted

You can see where i had to notch to clear the steering box

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after busting my a$$ on everything this weekend I got it all painted and installed, turned out freakin awesome, Paint looks real good. Now to just do the body work on the rest of the jeep and paint the rest of it.

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
Looks badass! Be sure to keep us posted on the build! One thing you might want to look at is some longer front springs - those shackles are sitting pretty perpendicular.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A guy at smjc did that and he used a 1 inch body lift to level out the hood to the rest of the body, it points up just a little in the front if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
updates:

The whole jeep got sanded down, all the bodywork done on it and a fresh coat of paint

It still needs alot of work to be complete, its only front wheel drive right now(no rear driveshaft or gears/locker)
And yes the shackle are going to be swapped out for some shorter ones (the ones that are on were there when I bought it)

Lots of progress since I bought it in November though

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
man, getting rid of those square headlights is the best thing you can do for that jeep. J/K

It does look good. I bet with shorter shackles you will still have the same clearance with a lower COG by having the fenders wide open at both ends.

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
dog-gone Lee, that looks sweet. i cant beleive u did all that in such a short time. what was the hardest part, the engine/tranny/t case swap? or the axles? or the body? or..... LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whitebuffalo said:
dog-gone Lee, that looks sweet. i cant beleive u did all that in such a short time. what was the hardest part, the engine/tranny/t case swap? or the axles? or the body? or..... LOL
None of it was really to hard, just time consuming. there is no part on this jeep that has gone untouched, It has been a pretty much ground up build. Pretty much all of my spare time has gone into building it, the joys of being single :D

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
lol....yup, i know what u mean. not just the time....but the coin as well

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Man, I knew this thread existed somewhere. I finally found it! It's been MIA for a long time....

Lots of people have asked for it, so here it is.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Wow, that turned out great!
Thanks for finding it, Amerijeep, just for the fun of looking at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts