Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the basic, very short rundown.

Billy has, in his possession, a '78 CJ7. Only problem is.... this is how it sits.

Yeah.....

It was running when it was taken apart, for sure. Parts are not an issue, all major components are there and in running condition and any small parts that might be needed along the way are not a problem. He can get whatever he needs without an issue.

Here is what I'm looking for from you wonderful people. Where to start in putting it back together? Neither of us have ever put a vehicle together from start before so I'm no help either.
Could anyone offer a basic rundown on how to put it back together or where to start? Any tips? advice? We're open to any suggestions and info you have.

Thanks a bunch, in advance. :flowers:
Can you guys just give us a ba

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll throw this in here too. We're also on limited time. We'd like to have this thing put back together ASAP. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
The first thing is to find the place you want to rebuild this thing. Once you have that, remove everything from underneath the jeep and put it where it will be out of the way and safe. Next, take care of your frame and suspension. Find any damage on the frame and repair. Paint it and starting putting on the springs. You want to go through the axles next and install them if they are good. Next will be fuel tank and drive train. Now all fuel lines and brake lines while the tub is off. Next, put the tub on.

It is pretty simple to do and doesn't take much. If you would like to look at a "frame up" restoration on my jeep, check out my signature and it will show you what to search this forum for.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Check Frame from Rust
Paint if desired
Install leaf springs and hangers
Install front and rear axles (assuming they are good)
Install wheels

Now it is rolling

Install steering
Put drivetrain back together in floor
Install in Jeep
Install gas tank/fuel system
Install grill and cooling system
Install exhaust (manifold anyway)

Pretty much running now

Paint tub
Install tub on frame
Do wiring
Seats, etc.

That is very, very high level. If it was me I would want to get it rolling first. If you are limited on space you can roll it outside to work on the engine or tub inside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. And Dempsey that list is great! That's basically what I was looking for. The rolling chassis is basically the main goal at this point. Then worry about the rest but atleast it'll be easier to deal with.

Do you guys know of any write-ups or builds putting a cj back together? I'm looking for something pretty detailed. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Thanks for the response. And Dempsey that list is great! That's basically what I was looking for. The rolling chassis is basically the main goal at this point. Then worry about the rest but atleast it'll be easier to deal with.

Do you guys know of any write-ups or builds putting a cj back together? I'm looking for something pretty detailed. Again, thanks for the help.
I don't know of a complete one although I am sure a search engine will bring up a bunch. I personally search as I go and find the best for the certain task at hand. In your case I would do the same. People have different skill sets so write ups usually reflect what was hard/easy for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would also scroll through the CJ sub-forum here and take a look at other rebuilds/restorations to point you in the right direction as to where to go next.

X3 on the rolling chassis as your first goal.

Just treat it like a BIG 3D puzzle and have fun! :thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little update. Forgot about this thread haha

He broke down the engine and dropped it off at the shop like this...

And this is how she sits, waiting to hear back from the machine shop and pick up some new shocks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It looks like it's coming along! good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice! That frame looks pretty good. The one thing I would suggest is to put some GOOD paint on the frame and body undercarriage if you dont do anything else to it. POR15 or something like it so the frame is good and protected for the next few decades. Also, rebuild/paint hat channels and under body while its off, again for the same reason listed above.

Good luck and enjoy the ride! You will learn a ton doing a build like this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts