Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asked yesterday about which engine to get in a jeep. Now the question arises which model. My buddies all have cj's some in good shape some not, but they all run good. Seems like i can get a decent tj for the same price as a cj. All the cj's i find cheap are all rusted out or need to many parts replaced. Any body have both. Which one do you prefer to play in.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Of course your going to get TJ as a responce due to you posting this in the TJ section....

move this to the general disscusion someone...

oh yeah..... and get a YJ:flipoff:

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
I think it's just a matter of which one falls in your lap. They're all jeeps and all have high points and low points.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Which one do you prefer to play in.
Need to define your idea of "play"

The TJ is my off road toy and daily driver - my CJ is my on road toy. I probably like the CJ best because I'm a show off and it gets the most waves & thumbs up :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, There are alot of factors here. Budget, area of use, things like that. I own a TJ and it has a 4 inch lift. It is a daily driver as well as my off road toy. I have never been able to get leaf springs to flex quite as well as a coil set up, but coil lifts arent cheap. The TJ is probably the most expensive to lift. My advice is to drive each one, on and off road. By doing this you should be able to tell which one is right for you. Now be reasonable..Dont try to compare a stock CJ to a TJ with a custom 8 inch coil over lift and full size axles. The TJ will spank the CJ off road BUT the CJ will be much more plesant on the road. Help me out here guys..what have I missed

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have both and while I love my CJ-7. I would lean more towards a TJ unless you can find a CJ in great condition I.E. no rust or puddy and perfect engine(rebuilt or swapped).
Alot of the CJ's you find cheap will need body work or frame work done due to rust and the engines are probably going to have high mileage. This can mean rear seals leaking oil, valve jobs, new tranny and tranfer case,etc. plus you have to deal with the problem caused by the carter carb which you should replace with a good weber carb or other brand.
A TJ shouldn't have much rust if any since they have only been around for close to 10 years. Plus you get fuel injection, and if you get a 2000 or up you get a coil rail instead of distributor which is a plus if going through mud or any water crossing( not saying to swamp your jeep) which is nice when you make it through and the other guy is sitting in the middle with his hood up waiting for the distributor to dry and is impressed by your jeep and ask for a tow out plus gives you bragging rights:cool: .
So you may save some money by buyin a CJ but you might end up paying more on fixing it up than if you bought a TJ.

·
Registered
240 Posts
CJ's are like any cool vintage car. They get a lot of respect. One thing to keep in mind is that Jeep has made some improvements over the last 20 years.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
CJ's are like any cool vintage car. They get a lot of respect. One thing to keep in mind is that Jeep has made some improvements over the last 20 years.
I agree. The YJ is basically a CJ, but an improved version. The TJ is a different platform. It's similar to the old school jeeps, but probably more like apples to oranges...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I agree with the "whatever falls in your lap answer", since that's how I got mine.

Otherwise, I'd pick what I like the looks of best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts