Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

CJ7 Body Panels Replacement

65K views 118 replies 15 participants last post by  kristpj 
#1 ·
Well I have decided to bite the bullet. After a few years of debate I have began the work to replace my body panels on my '76 CJ7.

Just like other CJ owners I debated between replacing the rust or installing a YJ tub. I have already done alot of work to my jeep and the quarters were something I chose to cover with bondo and ignore but the rust always came back. I decided to do the panels because one I found a original AMC panel and corner piece and more importantdue to the fact my floors are solid overall.

Here are a couple pics of the work. Alot to go. I started chipping away the bondo and rust once I got my diamond plate and fender flare off. Still plenty left to get too.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah......about that......I started messing with the winch plate but I just keep looking at the body. I'm going to do 1 side at a time. I hope that helps keep me from being bogged down with the work.

I am actually happy because I really thought they were worse than that....I know that is sad to say but there is alot of nice metal to weld too.

#3 ·
That might just be easier to do a body swap from the looks of those pictures.

#8 ·
The fender was off in less than 15 min. Only had 7 bolts holding it and very few things are attached on this side. Before I put the fender back on I will install my new headers and new steering shaft. :D

#15 ·
How are your body mounts? With that much rust I'd be carefull with both sides apart that the body doesn't shift/sag/etc before or while your are fitting your new panels. You might want to brace on side and tack the other replacements on. Gotta love rust....no mater how much you think there is you always seem to find that much more!!!:banghead:
-John

#16 ·
How are your body mounts? With that much rust I'd be carefull with both sides apart that the body doesn't shift/sag/etc before or while your are fitting your new panels. You might want to brace on side and tack the other replacements on. Gotta love rust....no mater how much you think there is you always seem to find that much more!!!:banghead:
-John
Body mounts are good overall. I have one that is broke but not rusty.

I haven't cut or broke any tub supports so I think it should keep its shape. But I have marked stuff just to see if it does shift during the process.
I hear ya on the rust. Last car I worked on was a '29 Model A so this looks like shiny penny to that!

#18 ·
They are held on by spot welds. I'm not really cutting them off per say.
The panel is spot welded on the front of the tub, the brace that runs from the top of the tub to the floor (door hinges bolt to), the floor and around the tub wheel well and where it connects to the rear panel.

It really doesnt matter how it comes off so I guess you could say I don't care how the metal looks I am taking off. I only care about what is left. So alot of times i would just tear it out of the way to get better access to the spot welds.

I am also not interfering with the internal bracing of the tub itself. I am leaving that intact and only replacing the skin/sheetmetal.

Does that answer your question?

Nick

#20 ·
Sure does. I wish I would of took it all off instead of doing individual panels :(

Look forward to seeing the outcome. Goodluck.

It isn't too late. :punk: It only took about 5 minutes of work and I was at the point of now return!

I should have the passenger side off today. I'll keep posting pics. Once I get the passenger side off I will start on the roll bar and a cage install. Will be alot easier to install with no panels on so it will be a week or better before I start welding the panels back on.

#23 ·
I can understand that. I filled mine with bondo and it looked really good for about 2 years but gradually the water and vibrations got the best of it. Even just sitting it started getting worse.

With as much money and time I have invested in 'er that was really the only thing I hadn't done right and it really made the jeep look bad.

I think if the plate had covered all the rust I may have waited to do this.

#35 ·
More progress tonight. I removed the replacement brace since I am using the original one. I also mocked up the driver's side panel. Looks like it will fit pretty nice. I am about 1/2 way done cleaning the welding surface.

Attachments

#119 ·
side panel replacment brace

nice job on the replacement panels! you work very well! I read in your post you removed the replacement braces to keep the original ones... if you still have the replacement ones and would be interested is selling them, i would be interested in buying them, i am currently rebuilding my tub for my cj with a yj tub, i had an attempt to rebuild the braces but i am not satisfied with the final result, the only way the get the ones behind the doors is to buy full panels! So i you still have em and want to sell them i am interested !
keep me informed please !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.