Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the CJ forum as well but figured there are probably some old CJ'ers on here as well. I had to drill out the hinges on one of my doors because the bolts wouldn't come loose. I was going to take the plate out from the inside but it has some kind of clips that keep it from coming out. My question is how do you get it out. Thanks

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
It's been a while since i took doors apart but don't think they are made to come out

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
That's not good, going to suck to have to drill that out with it on there and tap.

Yeah... are they badly rusted or were they just frozen? I think they are loctited from the factory. Someone sells a tool that removes them but i cant remember what the company is called. It was basically just a attachment that fits in a pneumatic air hammer that you can put bits in like torx or phillips head or a socket. And you hammer the hell out of it while gently pushing on a lever counterclockwise to break it free. There are videos of it working on a Suzuki Samurai door you could probably rig up something homemade to do the same job it was a very simple tool.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Did you have to drill out all the bolts? If not put the bolts you can in with a couple of washers under them to hold the plate steady and drill out and retap the holes you need to fix through the door skin.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you have to drill out all the bolts? If not put the bolts you can in with a couple of washers under them to hold the plate steady and drill out and retap the holes you need to fix through the door skin.
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get them out, I should have posted a follow up. Turns out the bolts had loc-tite in them and I ended up taking a small Dremel and cutting a small grove across the top of the bolt and heating the bolt for about 20 seconds and took a screw driver and they screwed right out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts