Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lucked (quite literally) into a Scrambler that is in pretty solid shape. It is a numbers matching vehicle, but some things have been changed over the years. I want to return this to the same trim as it came from the factory. It is a 81 that originally came with the SL Sport Trim package. It appears it was black from the factory and it will need repainted at some point (looks good from a distance, but up close it has flaws). So things I think I need:
--Running (fog??) Lights
--Graphics (which ones? Have seen several)
--Factory Wheels (any place better than ebay?)
--Steering Wheel (easy find)
--Factory Radio (might not be so easy)
--What else?

My googlefu has failed me and I am not finding a clean picture of a black CJ8 with my trim package anywhere. Do we have any Scrambler guru's that can point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice Scrambler. All the Scrambler gurus are here: Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler Forums There are several guys who regularly sell wheels, etc., in the for sale section.

The radio might be hard to find. I put a casette deck in mine in the 80's and it was still in it when I got it back last year. I replaced it with a head unit from Retrosound. I did not retain the original head unit.

It looks like yours originally came with the sideboards too. It's hard to tell from the photo if yours has "Jeep" embossed in the quarter panel. That's usually an easy way to tell if that body panel (and sometimes the body) is OEM or has had repair work done on it.

Those wheels look totally out of place on that vehicle. While it shouldn't be too hard to find OEM wheels, the center caps might be a bit more difficult to locate. Your front hub looked strange until I realized what made it look strange was the missing center cap.

The front bumper looks original...though I believe it should be chrome on an SL. The SL had a chrome rear step bumper with end caps. While you might be able to find a bumper, the original plastic end caps are nearly priceless and virtually impossible to find. The guys at CJ-8 forum went wild over the fact that I still had pristine end caps. There is someone there who is making aluminum replacements.

The decals were, I believe, the same in '81 and '82. I have an original sales brochure but no time to copy and post it here. But here are a couple of pix Google found for me. The black one is an SL...as are any with chrome OEM wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hugely helpful thanks. Tough to tell in the photo, but the front bumper is chrome. I agree completely with the wheels being out of place, they will be the first thing to go. Thanks for the help, will check out that forum as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts