Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Build will go slow, but I want to start a thread early for advice, and for posterity sake. So outside of a complete overhaul of my stereo, speakers, and a custom Subwoofer enclosure in the back (irony, it is in the same place as the old Subwoofers due to the proprietary OVAL sub by Alpine), My Jeep is completely stock.

Heres what I am starting with:
2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Anvil
Automatic Transmission
4.1 Axle ratio
Leather Seats
Premium Soft Top
Connectivity Group
Auto A/C
Added a Hitch receiver and waiting harness from Quadritech.

Phase I - Trail ready - 4-5 months - Getting the Jeep light trail ready. Keeping the stock bumpers, buying trail gear, Budget Lift, Wheels and Tires, and a slider/step for my 5'nothing girlfriend. Would love input on my choices all around, especially the items that are "Pending"

Upgrades: Total Cost to date $370

- Cobra 75 CB, Coax Cable, Antenna, stud and mount bracket. - Ordered 1/9/15 - $170
- Budget Lift - Rough Country 2.5" Spacer Lift - Ordered 1/9/15 - $200
***CAVEAT*** THIS IS NOT A LONG TERM LIFT - I am choosing to get this lift now, as It will allow me to move to a 35" tire quickly for light trail, and looks...and also allow me to sell my Rubicon takeoffs with less than 3K miles on them. I should be able to come close to recouping the cost of this lift with the added $ for selling nearly new Rubi takeoffs.
- ACE JK Rock Sliders - Install OVER Rubi Rails (4 Door) - Pending (Backordered)
- Recovery Strap, 20K Lbs. - Pending
- 5 Wheels - Pending
- 5 Tires - Pending

Phase II - Trail Capability - 1-2 Years - Permanent lift kit and armor. This Jeep is my DD so nothing too outlandish. Good looking with an edge, and capable.

- Lift - Metalcloak 3.5" GameChanger ARB/FOX/6PAK?
- Front Bumper - ?
- Rear Bumper - ?
- Fender Flares - Poison Spyder?
- Under Body Armor - ?

Cant wait till parts begin to arrive!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK so everyone loves pictures! Nothing to see that you have not already, but here is my blank canvas. I am very excited to even have a Factory Rubicon at this point...My Jeep replaced a 2011 Honda Element.

First time the doors came off...

Tonight I started my first install. Ran the CB cable from my tire carrier to under my Glove box. Antenna mount by Rugged Ridge. The top is not really level, so the thing was engineered sloppily...but it will get the job done till I get a rear bumper and tire carrier to replace the stock stuff.

Thanks for following along!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished the install of the CB. Cobra 75.

Nothing new with this picture...

This may help a few folks. From the passenger side to engine compartment, I used a piece of 1/8" weld steel to breech the foam barrier as seen in the following 2 pics...Used the weld steel to snake the positive cable through by taping the cable to the end of the steel.

And then I drilled the passenger dash consoe below the glove box to not stand out, and installed the CB trim piece.

Wont do much till the 24th when I am planning on installing the spacer lift...then wheels and tires once the MTR/K's are off backorder.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Nice jeep! :thumb:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried to dial in the antenna last night, and the SWR meter was pegged at about 3.5. Not good. Did not realize I had to ground the antenna mount, so will run a dedicated ground from stud to chassis tonight and re-try. Hope this fixes the issue, otherwise I've got some more snooping to do. I did some continuity checks and they looked ok, but there are more tests specific to the stud, and mount grounding I can do next. This is my first CB so I am kind of learning as I go.

Ordered Wheels and 35" tires.
Budget Lift delivered and will be installed on the 24th...Wheels on the 26th.

Sure wish you could edit old posts...I wanted to keep the first post updated but I understand why you can't...sort of.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question. Wheels and tires are coming in tomorrow. What are the dangers of putting the wheels and tires on tomorrow on an unlisted stock Rubicon? Installing the lift Saturday, but I will only be running on concrete till then.

Should 35" tires be find with proper backspacing, and city driving flex?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts