Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Warn front and rear bumper with tire carrier. I can ignore a lot. Jeeps pop, crack, clack, whine and clunk their ways down the road, and I'm fine with all the in-cabin noise.

But the rear carrier is about to drive me through a wall. I just can't take it anymore. It makes every other noise seem like the flutter from a whispy butterfly. I have to literally crank my radio to make it so it's not ALWAYS noticeable (read: still noticeable!). A bit of rattle is fine, but man, it's like two aluminum cats are fighting in the back.

From what I can tell, it's the area where the pin holds the tire carrier against the bumper in the locked position. I can duplicate the noise when I pull punch the rear tire (you'll want to after a 45 minute commute...), albeit it's not nearly as loud. We have really smooth roads in AZ, so I can't imagine what this would be like out east.

Anything I can do? Thought about maybe putting double sided velcro as padding somewhere, but not sure exactly what material or exactly where would be the right choice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Is this the tire carrier that attaches to the tailgate?

If so, do you have the rubber bump stops?

My carrier (which isn't a Warn) has an adjustable bump stop that the assembly pushes into. That bumper stops 99.9% of the rattles when properly adjusted.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
That's one of the rear frame mount carriers right?

Those are often subject to proper installation. The part that feeds through the bumper and into the frame rail needs to go in and mount so that it is straight. Any slight misalignment and it will lead to noises as you describe. Every bump there will be a clanking sounds. This is a pretty common problem for the frame rail mounted tire carriers.

Your best bet would be to pull the spare off and then try re-installing the carrier and this time ensuring things are aligned and mounted straight.

Many of us purchase the non frame mounted hinge carriers such as the Terflex carrier to avoid that problem. The drawback is that the TF may not be strong enough to support a 40in spare but a lot of us don't have 40in tires to care.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's attached to the frame, not the rear trunk. I dont have rubber stoppers or anything. Just a pin that locks the tire carrier to the bumper. It goes straight in. Feels like it's installed right. Just wish the hole had an o ring on it or something. You'd think it would come with something.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Get yourself some hockey pucks and make some bump stops that the carrier rests tight against when closed.

·
Super Moderator
23,127 Posts
Photos and brand will help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pic of the pin lock mechanism. To the one who suggested a hockey puck, can you describe where exactly that would go? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Pic of the pin lock mechanism. To the one who suggested a hockey puck, can you describe where exactly that would go? Thank you.
You need constant pressure between the tire and tailgate to prevent rattling. Without seeing good pics of the area between the tire and tailgate I can't say exactly where to put bump stops but here is a video that will give you a good idea what I'm talking about.

https://video.advanceautoparts.com/latest-videos/daystar-products-2007-2015-jeep-wrangler-jk-tailgate-bumpstops-installation-kj09144bk/120378676-213561829/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see what you're talking about. My connections seems firm. Pictures attached. I did an alignment today and that's made it a whole lot better. Previous owner apparently never heard of an alignment as it had severe toe in. It'll still squeak but it's not rattling constantly.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drove around, and other than the occasional noise, it's quiet. Alignment was the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts