Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 979 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/707189-jeep-wrangler-class-action-says-vehicles-manufacturing-defect/

By Anne Bucher
June 2, 2017

FCA US LLC has been hit with a class action lawsuit over an alleged manufacturing defect in certain Jeep Wrangler vehicles that damages the vehicles’ radiators, oil coolers and other components, causing the heater, defroster and air conditioning systems to fail.

According to plaintiffs Donna Mooradian and William Mooradian, Chrysler manufactures engine component parts by using expendable sand molds to form metal parts from alloys, a process called the sand-casting method.

The alleged radiator defect affects model year 2012 through 2017 Jeep Wrangler vehicles, the class action says. These vehicles have a Pentastar V-6 3.6-liter engine, which is reportedly made using a die-casting method instead of a sand-casting method. However, a sand-crafting method is used to make the cylinder head located on top of the engines.

The radiator defect allegedly occurs because Chrysler fails to sufficiently purge casting sand from the cylinder head during the manufacturing process. This excess sand gradually “seeps out” and causes the Jeep Wranglers’ radiators and oil coolers to “fill with a sludge-like residue that damages and ultimately destroys these and other components,” according to the Jeep Wrangler class action lawsuit.

“Plaintiffs and the Class do not learn of the existence of the Manufacturing Defect until the heating and cooling systems fail even though the sand starts to shed from the cylinder head and collect in the radiator immediately after the vehicle is driven,” the Jeep Wrangler class action lawsuit says.

When heating and cooling systems fail, the vehicle’s safety is compromised, the plaintiffs say. For example, drivers cannot defrost their vehicles, making it unsafe to drive in certain cold-weather conditions.

The plaintiffs assert Chrysler should have known about the manufacturing defect because pre-sale testing of the vehicles would have detected the issue by 2011. Further, hundreds of consumer complaints were lodged against Chrysler over this alleged manufacturing defect, so Chrysler should have been aware of the issue by June 2012.

However, Chrysler failed to disclose the radiator defect to consumers who had purchased the affected vehicles and continued to sell vehicles that allegedly contained the defect. Further, Chrysler refuses to cover the costs of labor and repair for the manufacturing defect during the warranty period, claiming instead that the problem was caused by owner misuse or external factors, the Jeep Wrangler class action lawsuit alleges.

The plaintiffs claim they leased a new 2013 Jeep Wrangler in 2013. After a few years, they noticed the heater and defroster emitted only cool air. When they took the vehicle in to a dealer, they were told that the radiator, oil cooler and heater core would need to be replaced, and that the repair was not covered under warranty.

The Jeep Wrangler class action lawsuit brings claims against FCA US LLC for breach of express warranty, breach of implied warranties, breach of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, and breach of the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act.

The plaintiffs are represented by Jack Landskroner and Drew Legando of Landskroner Grieco Merriman LLC; Daniel K. Bryson and John Hunter Bryson of Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP; and Gregory F. Coleman of Greg Coleman Law PC.

The Jeep Wrangler Manufacturing Defect Class Action Lawsuit is Donna Mooradian, et al. v. FCA US LLC, Case No. 1:17-cv-01132, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
Well, yet another BIG BIG potential win for some attorneys.

How much you want to bet that if these attorneys win, or get a settlement, that these attorneys will walk away with more cash, than the real victims here?

·
Super Moderator
22,450 Posts
Well, yet another BIG BIG potential win for some attorneys.

How much you want to bet that if these attorneys win, or get a settlement, that these attorneys will walk away with more cash, than the real victims here?
sure that is always the case in a class action. On the other hand without the class action most of the "real victims" wont get diddly anyway. More than anything it is just a way to penalize Fiat for putting out a faulty product. I have been party in a couple of class action suits and I always got more than I would have without being in them as I would not have spent the money to pursue them otherwise.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
one word: good

any time Chrysler is held accountable for their shitty designs and manufacturing defects, lack of quality assurance, etc....is a win for everyone (even Chrysler, albeit it would have been easier for them to have done the right thing in the first place).

don't knock the lawyers. while no one has your best interests at heart except for you, at least the lawyers are more on your side than Chrysler ever would be. Chrysler doesn't give a shit about any of us, despite making it seem that way by creating customer service departments called "Jeep Wave". you know why that is? b/c some bean counter at Chrysler figured out it was cheaper to hire a bunch of sweet talkers in some office suites in Toronto and Dallas and call it Jeep Wave, than to fix the root causes for why Jeep owners are in constant need of repairs and "customer service" to get beyond stubborn dealership service managers who refuse to honor their own manufacturer warranty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Both of my 2015 HR's are leaking

·
Premium Member
7,665 Posts
I replace my radiator because it started leaking.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had heard of this years ago concerning the 2012 JKs, but had assumed that the problem had been fixed since then. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Since Chrysler uses the Pentastar in just about every model that they build, I would assume that this is something that might affect an awful lot of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep owners.

I believe the Pentastar is built in two engine plants, the Trenton plant in Michigan and the Saltillo, Mexico plant. I wonder if the lawsuit applies to only vehicles built with US engines or if it also includes others. From reading the OP, it only mentions the Jeep Wrangler, but it seems that it could also include other models of Chrysler cars/trucks.

The Jeep engine is built in the US according to my window sticker on my 2017 Recon.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Watching...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Someone brought up a good point regarding this issue: If the Plaintiff wins this class action, what does that mean for the JK's resale value?

I picked up a JKU this year thinking it might serve as a good trade in for a second year JLU when the time comes or may just hold onto it. I guess we'll see.

·
Premium Member
7,665 Posts
Someone brought up a good point regarding this issue: If the Plaintiff wins this class action, what does that mean for the JK's resale value?

I picked up a JKU this year thinking it might serve as a good trade in for a second year JLU when the time comes or may just hold onto it. I guess we'll see.
Probably be just like the clock spring, 15 years 150,000 miles or something. Hopefully I can just bring in my receipt.

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
ours is fine so far.. Subscribing
Mine too, and I hope it stays that way. You would have thought they'd know how to clean up sand-cast parts by now. The process isn't exactly new.

Again what I find interesting is that they had a problem with this very early on, and supposedly corrected it. Several years later, 2017 they're still having the problem? I still believe they had a lot of heads made early on, and not all of them were used at once, instead some of them were allowed to trickle into the system years later instead of being scrapped. Common, yet stupid business. That's why you'll still hear about an occasional head problem in a newer Wrangler, and heater/sand issues. I have a feeling both issues are related in some way.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
A couple of questions:

1) Would a coolant filter help? This issue happens in other makes, too, and coolant filters are often added by 7.3 and 6.0 PSD owners.

2) Might this be a contributing factor in how hot the 3.6 Wranglers run? I'd think so, if not for the stories of guys who've replaced their radiators with no improvement.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 979 Posts