Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

921 - 940 of 979 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just hit 95K on my 2013. I've always been able to smell coolant when it got hot. Finally see the area it's leaking. It's not wet, but it's leaking. Who would have though brakes would last longer than a radiator. I also had to deal with a dealer that had no clue about the casting sand issue back when I still had a warranty.
Your brakes lasted 95k?

Do you use them?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your brakes lasted 95k?

Do you use them?
Yeup. 95,000 miles over the past 7 years... I may have used the brakes a few times. Just replaced the rears. I still had pad left. I had some brake squeal and found that the pins froze up. I replaced the pads while it was apart. Rotors were in great shape. Stick shift makes brakes last longer. I hate automatics. Makes me feel like I'm riding the brakes all the time. Still got the factory front pads on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm at 81k on 2017 OEM fronts still. I replaced the rears around 50 I think. I only use OEM pads. Never squeal, and I know how long they last. Christ, on my 13 I was down to the backing plates on them and they still worked fine and were quiet. Removal was easy as they just crumbled off.. ha ha

·
Registered
893 Posts
Anyone know if the 2018s were affected?
Same parts, so the same likelihood of the problem showing up at some point. Fewer 2018s on the road (not a full year of production) so I don't know if any have showed up in this thread yet, and maybe 2018s and low-mile older years just haven't gone through enough heating/cooling metal/plastic expansion cycles to create failures yet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm curious if anyone knows if this issue was fixed sometime during the 2017 production run. I ask because I have a 2017 Wrangler that was built on April 11, 2017 and I'm about to hit 36K.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm curious if anyone knows if this issue was fixed sometime during the 2017 production run. I ask because I have a 2017 Wrangler that was built on April 11, 2017 and I'm about to hit 36K.
My ‘17 is leaking at 37k.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I don't think it was ever fixed in the JK's. Ask JeepCares.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Many seem to leak between the plastic tank and core on the driver side.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Us engineers call that 'perfect engineering'.

Warranty is what? 36? Designing it to work any longer is just over engineering.

(insert evil villain laugh)

funny thing is, well not so funny actually. mine was out of factory warranty by like 11 days.
now i have to call them and take it back, its leaking on the ground now

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Many seem to leak between the plastic tank and core on the driver side.
If you have ever replaced one or even looked at the driver side you will see how much stuff is bolted to that plastic for additional support. I believe this contributes to the leaks on that side from the additional load and vibrations. Imho.

·
Registered
115 Posts
out of warranty

Yeah, the radiator seems good in the 2016 JK. ( knock on wood)
But I have to replace the radiator on my 1998 TJ, It cracked last year along the top where plastic meets aluminum.
21 years on original isn't to bad. I cannot complain. New radiator is here, ready to go in. when it warms up some,
Oh well,

·
Registered
583 Posts
Anyone get a new radiator under warranty where they did a full flush of the coolant system?
My dealer changed out my leaky radiator but would not flush the system, under directions of Mother Ship.
Blamed the problem with the leaky radiator simply as a "bad one", and nothing to do with any sand casting issue.
Yes, I did. I brought my 2014 JK in on February 13th because I was smelling burnt coolant smell. I asked to do a complete flush, which they did, and then they promptly replaced the radiator after dealer said they found a leak. They also found that the thermostat was sticking as well. The entire time I owned the vehicle I never once heard the cooling fan come on either, which was surprising given how hot these engines run. I subscribed to this thread from day one and I was just holding my breath waiting.

921 - 940 of 979 Posts