Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've made a classic blunder after purchasing my 2014 wrangler. After a week or two of driving in the standard 2HI position I wanted to test out the 4WD system. So I went exactly where I here your not supposed to go, an empty, level, dry, paved parking lot.

I've read that this can especially be bad for the 4LO position on the transfer case. I spent a brief time (2~3 minutes) driving on dry pavement. My question is even though nothing exploded, have I damaged the power train? Have I set the stage for what they call "drive binding"?

I know now from doing my research that 4HI & 4LO should only be used off road exclusively, not on dry pavement.

Thanks! -=DD

·
Administrator
42,621 Posts
I'm sure you will get opinions all over the place but the bottom line is no, you haven't done any damage. The main thing is that an extra amount of stress id put on your steering and drive line when turning while in 4lo on dry pavement, a short test is fine. I'm sure more people will chime in soon.

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Click here for helpful tips for newcomers

·
Registered
759 Posts
You are fine. I've heard of people driving in 4-hi on the highway for 30 minutes without realizing it. OOPS

You may have heated some things up but I don't think you have much to worry about.
You can sleep well tonight.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
No worries. You'd really have to try hard to break it. Like attempt to do donuts on dry pavement while in 4 Lo.

Granted, like the manual says, it's best to only use the 4 modes when the terrain is "slippery" enough to allow the wheels to slip so they don't bind while turning. 4 high is great on snowy roads. I know some even use it during heavy rain but I don't.

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
Nope, 3 minutes won't hurt it.........:nonono:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wanted to say "thanks!" to Beastmaster and all the others who responded. This forum is a great resource and I like the camaraderie among Jeep Wrangler owners.

I think this would be a good forum to join before purchasing a jeep as well. -=DD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts