Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 X and recently installed a pair of the step bars and I had to drill 2 holes in the frame. When I did this I notice there was a lot of grit....no rust yet but seemed like a place it would start

have you ever cleaned out the interior of the frame, maybe hose it out, and if so have you coated it with anything to prevent rust in the future?

·
Registered
433 Posts
look up eastwood internal frame coating.
Cleaning it out is fun. Compressed air and shop vac (got some tube from the home cheapo that I taped on the end to get into the frame rail). followed by pressure washer until the water runs clean. Let dry for a good week then use the eastwood.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
2 cans of Eastwood on each frame side. Coat it up real good. Tedious job cleaning the inside of the frame rails but long term will be one of the bast investments in time you will make on your TJ.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i run the pressure washer inside of my frame at the carwash everytime i wash the jeep. anybody have any tips on how to get inside it better? i wish it had holes on the bottom of the frame

im slowy wire wheeling and refinishing the frame on my 97 and i know about eastwood i just want to do a good cleaning before hand

·
Registered
441 Posts
look up eastwood internal frame coating.
Cleaning it out is fun. Compressed air and shop vac (got some tube from the home cheapo that I taped on the end to get into the frame rail). followed by pressure washer until the water runs clean. Let dry for a good week then use the eastwood.

pictures of your home depot setup?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I hose out the frame every week during the winter and after every wheeling trip.....

If this is a new thought for you, you probably already have rust issues.

not sure if that was directed towards me or not, but i pressure wash the inside of the frame every time i go wheeling, the jeep sees mud(not often)bi weekly in salty road conditions and everytime i wash the jeep, im looking to refinish my frame and was looking for a better way to hose it out (special sprayer tips etc,)

·
Registered
981 Posts
I drilled 3/8" drain holes in my frame just forward of the rear control arm mounts. Run water front to back and back to front until it drains clear.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I drilled 3/8" drain holes in my frame just forward of the rear control arm mounts. Run water front to back and back to front until it drains clear.
Speaking of drilling holes, does anyone have pics of the spots to drill or an undercarriage diagram with the areas pointed out. I get a bit nervous drilling into a frame. :flowers:

Thanks,

Butch

·
Registered
981 Posts
Front of the rear control arm mounts for the back, rear of the control arm mounts in the front. I don't recall if I drilled the front and the back or just the back.. I'm special like that.

I can tell you though that with the drain holes its MUCH easier to get the dirt/rust flakes out of the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts