Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Wrangler JK lifted rockcrawlers and 33s.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some old bird poop on my hood that's not coming off with a microfiber hand-washing mitten. I scrubbed a couple spots with a rag and still no luck. I've read you can remove the bird poop spots with WD-40. Anyone have luck with that? Does it mess with the paint job?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Rubicon, 4.0, automatic (stock for now)
958 Posts
I’m not sure, but that looks more like the residue from bees landing there. I use a sponge and lots of soap (so it doesn’t scratch the paint) on the yellow side to get it off my black hood.
I don’t see wd40 hurting your paint as long as there aren’t any scratches or chips.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
If it's bird crap, put a very wet paper towel on it and let it moisten up. Should wipe right off.

I don't think I'd use WD-40 in my paint and clear coat.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Are you sure it isn’t tree sap?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've used WD40 on everything from dead bugs to road tar, and it works great and never damaged the paint. Used it on the grill and hood on my yellow '99 Dakota R/T over 21 years ago (to get rubber marks off from pieces of a re-tread) and the original paint still looks great (garage kept). The only thing I do is after I've cleaned the area with WD40, I'll clean the area with dish soap/water to get any residue off. But that's just IMHO.

·
Retired Moderator
102,478 Posts
It looks like it has eaten into your paint. If it is above the paint surface, just soak it with some Windex. If it is below the surface, just try some polishing compound, not rubbing compound. Then go over it with some paste wax.

Reactions: Mr. JP

·
Registered
903 Posts
Looks like tree sap to me. I usually let time take it off. If it’s on the windshield a razor blade or knife takes it off.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
If it is bird poop and it is old it could very damage your paint. Bird poop has uric acid in it and it loves to eat paint. Always remove it as soon as possible. I carry a squirt bottle of water around just for that purpose.

Reactions: branimal

·
Premium Member
10,231 Posts
What kind of tree is that in the reflection?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
A Bounce clothes dryer sheet works like magic for removing dried bug splatters off the paint so you might try it for this. Moisten a sheet and lightly rub it across the spot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should be able to scrape with your fingernail to see whether its sitting on top of your paint, or whether it has eaten into clear. For tar spots I do this. You can also find microfiber scrubber sponges that wont harm your paint. Been using these for years with no damage done. Just lube up well.

·
Premium Member
8,722 Posts
When using the soaking technique, use very warm water, hot enough that while you can keep your hand in it, it is uncomfortable but not painful. That will hasten the softening of the material. You do the same thing with stuck food on a plate (or perhaps your better half does it).

Reactions: branimal

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
319 Posts
This was stated before, but I'll reiterate: clean bird poo off the car immediately, always. It may very well corrode paint if left on. Not always, but don't play roulette with it

As for this case, if the poo was only on for a day or so, it would come off with just warm water. If it sticks, it's something else.

·
Registered
8,410 Posts
This was stated before, but I'll reiterate: clean bird poo off the car immediately, always. It may very well corrode paint if left on. Not always, but don't play roulette with it
Having had a black metallic car I learned this the hard way. After that I carry detailing spray and micro fiber cloths in my cars. Don’t rub as others have stated, that will just put scratches in the paint for certain bird shit compositions. Instead let it soak until it breaks free on its own. The earlier it’s caught the easier it will be to remove. After a certain time lapse it will discolor the paint and require polishing compound. Avoid parking under trees, parking lot lights, power lines, etc.

·
Registered
2016 Firecracker JKU Sport S -mostly stock at this point
158 Posts
That's bird poop for sure. The dark spot in the center of the mess is the solid waste component (Lat. "feces") , and the white area around it is almost pure uric acid (C5-H4-N3-O3) which is highly corrosive. Birds and reptiles conserve water much more efficiently than mammals and they don't actually even "urinate" at all. They only have one hole (Lat. "anus") through which feces and the white paste of the uric acid are excreted.

Sure, that's already more about bird crap than you wanted to know, but----just so you don't take it personally---birds also don't have sphincter muscles. No, crap just pushes out at random intervals when the GI tract is full from the other end; they are powerless to stop it. Your jeep was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The more you know, right?

Anyway, what to do about it? Sorry, but if it's been on for more than a few hours the damage is already done. What would Dr. Science do? 1) Make a paste of baking soda to daub on the spot and let that soak for an hour or so. 2) Carefully remove as much as possible with a surgical pin-probe (or safety pin). 3) Cover the damage with some Mopar touch up paint for that color. 3) Try to stop obsessing over the fact that the touch up paint does not match perfectly and just remember that sometimes---Sh!t happens. :)

Edit: The baking soda is just to neutralize the acid which probably won't help much at this point---not enough to be worth a trip to the store if I don't have any.... just skip it and go to step 2.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
You have not lived until you are driving your brand new Corvette down a country road when a swarm of blackbirds come at you, turn the other way and all let go at once. My yellow Corvette was all the sudden bird crap black.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I recommend this product:

Meguiar's C2000 - Meguiar's Detailing Clay

I have used it to remove tree sap and more.. ON our Black vehicles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Being a retired body shop manger I seen many of these type of bird, etc. stains in the paint, most want there problem repaired under warranty, which it is not a warranty claim. Usually you can lay a razor blade flat on the paint surface and slide it across the paint, I would say here, if you don't have that touch of doing things like this, you probably don't need to try doing it that way. Bird Poop with eat in to the clear coat on vehicles if left very long and I'm saying just a few days, if that long. Usually buffing will take out the mark/stain it leaves, we used a power buffer, but doing it by hand will also work it you once again know what you are doing. I will say I have taken many of our customers vehicles back to the painter and he took care of it right fast and didn't charge the customer, just another customer for life. I think the trying to soften it up approach for the person who is not a paint person is the best way to go, there are many chemicals that would help, but they are professional products and I won't go into that here. I will say I check our vehicles everytime we go out when we get home, only takes a second to do.

·
Registered
2012 Wrangler JK lifted rockcrawlers and 33s.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I soaked all the spots (there were a lot) with a wet paper towel pieces. I let them sit for 30 minutes and washed off the hood. It definitely took a lot of the bird poop off. There's still some residue left. I'll soak them again with paper towel pieces and warm water.

My plan was to Nu-finish the Jeep last night, but after I saw all the bird poop spots, I decided to hold off and ask here.

I'll keep a spray bottle filled with water in my Jeep to make sure this doesn't happen again. I live in Brooklyn, NYC - very urban area. I park where I can fit. And I only wash my Jeep every two weeks (when I visit my folks).

Thanks for the advice.

View attachment 4519383

1 - 20 of 20 Posts