Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone clean or detail their engine bay? I have a 2016 JK, so it's still pretty clean. I was considering cleaning the engine bay to keep it that way. Is that crazy? If anyone uses a particular product or technique please let me know.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'd like to know too. Cuz after my first oil change by the dealer, the o-ring failed and they had to clean the entire engine bay. It looked like they "steamed-washed" it. Next time I go there I'm going to question their process to clean the engine bay and all over underneath where engine oil was everywhere.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Yes. I do. You will get a smattering of replies "It's a Jeep" Blah blah - Just ignore.

Spray some full strength Simple Green all over everything and let it sit (Not Dry)
Spray it all off with a garden hose (nozzle with some pressure)
I do cover a couple obvious areas like the alternator windings, fuse box, etc with those grocery bags that pile up in the closet.
Then I use the same blower I dry my Jeep off with to blow the water off the engine bay.
Dry what it misses with a microfiber and put some 303 on the Black parts.

Stand back. Smile. Drink a Beer.

For those who do not clean your Jeep - That is Your choice doesn't make those who Do choose to clean their gear any less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I do the same as RubiconSS. I have been doing every vehicle I own the same way for the past 22 yrs. Makes it easier to see if you have a leak and where it is coming from. Also I hate working on dirty vehicles. Yeah it's a Jeep and ment to get dirty but so are my work cloths and I clean them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found Simple Green back when I had a Diesel and those crowds swear by it to clean all the grease and oil that seems to build up on those rigs. Love the stuff and anytime I smell it, it makes me want to clean the jeep. Especially nice that you just spray it on and let it set a couple minutes then wash it off with a hose. Doesn't get the hard stuck stuff that way (I use a rag or brush for the tough stuff) but for 90% of the job it does great with little effort

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you want some shine in the engine bay, there are several brands of engine shine out there, Gunk makes one that seems to work well, looks like Armor All to me.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
https://youtu.be/0fY1e7oW8Ms

Sure I know posted the video to Gunk's site. But engine detailing and even cleaning starts from day one. If you a hard core off roader, I'm not sure you would even consider keep the engine and other areas clean. Let's face it, there are those of us who take pride keep things as clean as possible. But then again it is a personal preference and can be very time consuming. One just has to watch why type of products they use for cleaning and detailing. if it gets to the point where you're spending more time cleaning and less time on the trail.. then you may as well take your jeep to a car show..

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I'm just waiting for someone to chime in with "I use 30 grit sand paper, Windex and a little phlegm because it's just a Jeep"
Well, I do ONLY use 0w-0 FULL non-synthetic Simple Green with a Mopar filter and Rotate my WW fluid every other time YMMV.
ALL work is done from the right/left and front side.

Gotta do it right ! Go Chinese Knock-Offs!

Hey, whatß better? A Rubicon/Sahara , Auto/Manual, 2dr/4dr, AT/MT or maybe HT/ST. I dunno......

Very confusing.....((.:))

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I do ONLY use 0w-0 FULL non-synthetic Simple Green with a Mopar filter and Rotate my WW fluid every other time YMMV.
ALL work is done from the right/left and front side.

Gotta do it right ! Go Chinese Knock-Offs!

Hey, whatß better? A Rubicon/Sahara , Auto/Manual, 2dr/4dr, AT/MT or maybe HT/ST. I dunno......

Very confusing.....((.:))
I almost started a post yesterday titled "A Rubicon or Sahara? Auto or Manual? 2 door or 4 door? New or used?" and then when it opened it said "Just kidding Happy Easter." But then I felt funny about playing with people's emotions and ruining their Easter.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you regularly spray wd40 or PB blaster on the plastic pieces you'll never have to wash them again.

Edit:
Pam cooking spray works good too. Though I would keep it away from the engine itself. Heat+oil=fire.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I go to the local power wash bay. Spray everything down with the "engine/tire cleaner". I believe it's the same stuff as simple green but foamy. Let sit for a few. Take power wash and rinse. It leaves the mess there and not in my drive way. Then I get in and drive like heck down the freeway to dry everything off. Get home, wipe down with micro fiber towel.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I almost started a post yesterday titled "A Rubicon or Sahara? Auto or Manual? 2 door or 4 door? New or used?" and then when it opened it said "Just kidding Happy Easter." But then I felt funny about playing with people's emotions and ruining their Easter.
It's an internet forum....Never hesitate to screw with people's emotions.

If they bring those here, they get what they deserve....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered the Simple Green. Before you spray and wash down the engine with water do you cover anything? ie, Battery connections or alternator? or does it not matter?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ahhh yes good 'ole Simple Green! Used that stuff by the 50gal drum on the sub in the Navy!! Every time I use it at home I hear "Dive - Dive - Dive"

As RSS said, I'd cover a few things like fuse boxes, battery, alternator, but then again, I wouldn't be too worried about it....plenty of us submerged at least half of the engine bay on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Ahhh yes good 'ole Simple Green! Used that stuff by the 50gal drum on the sub in the Navy!! Every time I use it at home I hear "Dive - Dive - Dive"

As RSS said, I'd cover a few things like fuse boxes, battery, alternator, but then again, I wouldn't be too worried about it....plenty of us submerged at least half of the engine bay on a regular basis.
IF I EVER heard that..... the next thing being broadcast would be me SCREAMING "Let Me the F' Outta HERE!!!!" (-:)

God bless you guys.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes. I do. You will get a smattering of replies "It's a Jeep" Blah blah - Just ignore.

Spray some full strength Simple Green all over everything and let it sit (Not Dry)
Spray it all off with a garden hose (nozzle with some pressure)
I do cover a couple obvious areas like the alternator windings, fuse box, etc with those grocery bags that pile up in the closet.
Then I use the same blower I dry my Jeep off with to blow the water off the engine bay.
Dry what it misses with a microfiber and put some 303 on the Black parts.

Stand back. Smile. Drink a Beer.

For those who do not clean your Jeep - That is Your choice doesn't make those who Do choose to clean their gear any less.
THIS X2 - been cleaning my engines this way for 20 ++ years

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I ordered the Simple Green. Before you spray and wash down the engine with water do you cover anything? ie, Battery connections or alternator? or does it not matter?
I mention in an earlier post...... plastic bags over Alternator, fuse box, you can do the battery as well.
Have I ever had a problem? No But, the bags are free and it takes like 12 seconds so why not.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts