Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first jeep and was told what to look for in the frame. seems totally solid minimal rust but packed full of dry dust.Jeep was from out west so it's not nearly as rusty as most Ive looked at. I know if that gets wet in these NE winters it will rot out my frame,so advise on cleanout? Shopvac? Air compressor or powerwasher? Or a little of all?
What do you guys do to keep all the crud from rotting out your frame?

·
Registered
588 Posts
A little of everything. I drilled 1/2" drain hole's right next to all 4 control arm mounts, then loosened up all the rust with compressed air as best I could and then attached a 4' section of garden hose to my shop vac and sucked out the rust. It took several tries with both the air and the shop vac before I was satisified. I then coated the inside of the frame with eastwood internal frame coating. this whole process took about 4 hrs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip about drilling holes:thumb: I may do that. I recently used the eastwood product on another project and it was pretty easy looks like it worked well. Too cold to spray,that part will have to wait for spring.As well as POR14 and bedliner or similar on the rest of the underside. I will vac and blow out all that grit before it goes on the road though.
Is that a regular maintenance thing with these? wash out the frame rails?

·
Registered
496 Posts
yes drill holes. my drivers side has some rot. i used a flexible magnetic pickup tool that i got at harbor freight to reach in and get the chunks out. you can try and tape the holes and use an air compressor to blow it out. i used a pressure washer. after letting it dry i used eastwoods internal frame coating. i bought 4 cans but wish i bought five. good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts