Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up used set of High-Top Fender flares and they are all blotchy. Car Guys Plastic Restorer had been used on them previously and from I have read on reviews I think this product may have contributed to the blotchiness. Any ideas on cleaning this up?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Back when I had my TJ I used a product called Forever Black, it is essentially a dye. Worked very well to recondition faded plastic fenders.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back when I had my TJ I used a product called Forever Black, it is essentially a dye. Worked very well to recondition faded plastic fenders.
The thing is these aren’t faded. The PO used the product to clean them up, I think, and when they arrived to me they’re blotchy. I need to even put the color.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
That product is not a dye and can be washed off. Try a solution of dawn dishwashing detergent to wash them clean. Don’t you just hate POs?! :tomatoes:

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That product is not a dye and can be washed off. Try a solution of dawn dishwashing detergent to wash them clean. Don’t you just hate POs?! :tomatoes:
:winner:

Reactions: jeep63

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,852 Posts
sand and paint...

or sell them to me!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I’ve never used it, but I looked it up at their website. This “This is a newly developed, water-based polymer formula that contains a very special and newly PATENTED polymer additive.” may be the problem. Seems to me to be the same as adding floor wax such as mop & glo, or Zep. I have used M&G on an old RV to rejuvenate the dull faded fiberglass (took several applications, plus hours of prep to get it really clean first), and also put a nice shine on the metal frames and rubber seals around the windows. Looked great, but it needed to be reapplied just like car wax or floor wax from time to time. Try using some ammonia, or floor stripper to remove the stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I’ve never used it, but I looked it up at their website. This “This is a newly developed, water-based polymer formula that contains a very special and newly PATENTED polymer additive.” may be the problem. Seems to me to be the same as adding floor wax such as mop & glo, or Zep. I have used M&G on an old RV to rejuvenate the dull faded fiberglass (took several applications, plus hours of prep to get it really clean first), and also put a nice shine on the metal frames and rubber seals around the windows. Looked great, but it needed to be reapplied just like car wax or floor wax from time to time. Try using some ammonia, or floor stripper to remove the stuff.
i would not use ammonia or any floor stripper in those flares.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I only suggested it if the blotches verse caused by the polymers then perhaps Ammonia will remove it. I don’t imagine it would make it worse...

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rubbing Alcohol and then Aerospace 303 seems to have done the trick. We will see how it does long term.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Try to stay away from anything with petroleum base if ya can. 303 is good.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rubbing Alcohol and then Aerospace 303 seems to have done the trick. We will see how it does long term.
Sorry to say the rubbing alcohol and 303 did not fix the fronts. They are clean not but look grey. I wonder if it's from sitting in a box for 4 years since they were NOS when purchased by PO.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
post a photo of the blotchiness. Most stock fenders look terrible pretty fast. I think they maybe made of recycled water bottles.

Reactions: JHD1827

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
post a photo of the blotchiness. Most stock fenders look terrible pretty fast. I think they maybe made of recycled water bottles.
Here's 2. It's hard to tell the greying but blotches are there...

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Don't laugh, but I used some black paste wax shoe polish on some plastic once and it wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just tried Mother’s Back to Black. It made zero difference. :(

It's like there is a haze over the plastic. Like a pain job that needs buffying out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue when I first got my jeep. When I was ready to just rip them off I tried some Hot Shot wheel and tire cleaner, then back to black and it seemed to work. It probably wasn't the best idea, but the results were pretty good. If you try it, do your best not to get the cleaner on the painted surfaces.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am going to try Mother's Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner next. I also called my paint and body guy to get his opinion. we will see what he says.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am going to try Mother's Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner next. I also called my paint and body guy to get his opinion. we will see what he says.
Paint guy said in his opinion it’s the plastic. He suggested heat gun/ hair drier “trick.” I have read this is a bad idea though.
Still looking for solution.
BTW he said he would not paint them as they are textured and if they chip they cannot be spot painted due to the texture. I agree. I had a similar issue with a textured bumper on my previous truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts