Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am interested in changing out my headlight lenses. Not so much concerned about the bulbs as I am the lenses themselves. The current lenses are clear and flat (meaning no stripes or variations) as opposed to being flat like a board.

My concern is that they are scratched like they have been sand blasted and it seems to mostly be the upper half of each lens. I don't think that they can be polished so I am thinking about replacing them. I have looked at many of the videos about total headlight replacement and I am not looking to spend $500 on something like Morimoto Super 7's right now. I have DW so I will be spending the next bunch of cash trying to square away my front end parts (maybe ball joints) so don't really want to spend a lot of money on this.

It is more cosmetic than anything else and just something that bothers my OCD.

A friend bought me new bulbs for my birthday so I should have better light but the condition of the exterior lenses just bugs the crap out of me.

Is it possible to just replace the outside glass without going for my shorts on big dollar headlights? The last time I changed headlights in a vehicle they were sealed beams and there was no ability to change just the bulb inside.

What say you?????

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you aren’t concerned with upgrading the headlights, find someone who has upgraded and is seeking they’re factory take-offs. Should be able to pick a set up for next to nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have a set of factory housings that I took off my jeep that are still clear, if you want to talk about them im willing to let them go and send them to ya, bulbs would be included just so you at least have working bulbs incase you need them

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Get some hella glass housings for around $100 use your old bulbs for now and call it a day. Much better lighting,won’t get cloudy easy to install.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Get a headlight restoration kit from 3M with wet sandpaper in and clear them up. I've done this on a couple of cars and it works wonders. Give it a shot, a lot cheaper than new headlights.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Get some hella glass housings for around $100 use your old bulbs for now and call it a day. Much better lighting,won’t get cloudy easy to install.
I believe all the Hella housings take H4 bulbs (at least all the ones I have seen listed) while the stock JK housings take the H13 bulb. Basically all the difference is in the base and the electrical connection. Do not go with a cheap H13 to H4 pigtail. I made that mistake when I put Hellas on my 2015. I had to put the stock lights back in and order KC-Hilite adapters since the pins on my cheapos would move and not make contact.

I replaced the stock lights with the Hellas in both my TJ and 2015 JKU. My 2017 came with LEDs and boy are they better. This past summer I replaced the Hellas in my TJ with the Quadratec GenII LEDs and they are as good and on highs a bit better than the Mopar LEDs in my 2017.

I know OP does not want to spend $500 for LEDs, but the GenIIs are $330 from Quadratec and include the anti flicker Pulse Width Modulators (which also convert the H13 connection to an H4 since the LEDs have an H4 connection).

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Opps! Your right. Would have messed up your day. The bulbs are h4,came with my lights and I bought a good adapter. Still for the price I am very happy with what I bought.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I took care of the op, I sent them my head lamps so they should be getting them in the next few days (the lamps were not doing anything for me anyway so I figured I would pass them on to a fellow jeeper that could put them to use :)

hopefully Karma will smile my way :D

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
That's what good Jeepers do. I sent the fabric, windows, TG Bar and clips to a Jeeper who needed a replacement top. I had it on my TJ for about 4 years but it was still in great shape. After I had the TJ painted I went with a Trektop NX so the old top was just taking up storage space. He did pay the shipping cost.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That's what good Jeepers do. I sent the fabric, windows, TG Bar and clips to a Jeeper who needed a replacement top. I had it on my TJ for about 4 years but it was still in great shape. After I had the TJ painted I went with a Trektop NX so the old top was just taking up storage space. He did pay the shipping cost.
same here, I hope that if I need help with something on my Jeep Karma will do the same for me :) the community is why it is good to be a Jeeper :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts