Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my TJ for the first time today in at least a week and about 10 minutes into the drive the Airbag light came on on the dash panel. Anyone know a good way to clear this code?

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's not something that you can "just" clear. The system sets the code etc when there is a defect and will clear when said defect is repaired.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Disconnecting the battery cable will clear it. If the problem isn't fixed it will come back on within a day or so.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Usually this is just a closed circuit and will solve itself, after a few minutes. Much like the instrument cluster tests after first switching the key to on.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I do not have Jeep's Airbag system to memory, but I do know GM systems. And if it is anything like GM,,,, the Airbag module would a module that while readable, its inputs are not controllable or resettable via a scanner. That would be a safety issue.

Now in a GM (and I am sure most), you have sensors mounted front and rear that tend to get corroded and split, with age you may be having one of them starting to fail. Also what fails is the power fuse to the module can get corroded/dirty. On a GM you can visually tell if the module fuse is bad/going because when the airbag light is on you will not register a seat belt light on the dash during that time that the airbag light is on as the seat belt light is controlled by the airbag system (which is unpowered).

So get a scanner on it, see if anything is stored. If nothing stored, check/reseat the fuse for the airbag (may be called SRS).

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are 3 things that can go wrong making your light come on the airbag module very doubtful, the clock spring, if the horn and cruise control work very doubtful. the other one is the switch for the passenger airbag, it has a bulb soldered on the board in the switch, you can easiliy pull the switch and ohm test it , you can turn the switch to off see if the light comes on.
i am pulling my switch today due to same issue. I really suck at soldering so I'm taking it to a local ubreak i fix place near me and see if they can solder in the new bulb.
looking on eBay at used switch they run 85 and up, new bulb and solder should be like 15 bucks

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A working horn definitely does not rule out a clock spring failure.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Some scanners Can read and clear airbag codes as well as bleed and reset ABS codes I have a Foxwell scanner that not only reads air bag but points you at the problem.
In my case was a Frito corn chip in the Drivers seat belt buckle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bet that it's a burnt bulb in your airbag switch. I posted the following in another message thread a while back.

Does yours have the switch near the shifter for enabling or disabling the passenger air bag? If so, the small indicator light on this switch may be burnt out or making intermittent contact. I had an intermittent ABS Warning light at the dash for years. I even opened the gauge panel and placed a small piece of black electrical tape over the light so my daughter could use my Jeep to take her driving test.

I finally opened the switch and soldered a replacement miniature bulb onto the circuit board and the ABS warning light has never come back on. You can find a youtube instruction with a little searching.

I bought the bulbs on Amazon: CEC Industries 7219 Bulbs, 12 V, 0.72 W, Wire Terminal Base, T-1 shape (Box of 10)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bet that it's a burnt bulb in your airbag switch. I posted the following in another message thread a while back.

Does yours have the switch near the shifter for enabling or disabling the passenger air bag? If so, the small indicator light on this switch may be burnt out or making intermittent contact. I had an intermittent ABS Warning light at the dash for years. I even opened the gauge panel and placed a small piece of black electrical tape over the light so my daughter could use my Jeep to take her driving test.

I finally opened the switch and soldered a replacement miniature bulb onto the circuit board and the ABS warning light has never come back on. You can find a youtube instruction with a little searching.

I bought the bulbs on Amazon: CEC Industries 7219 Bulbs, 12 V, 0.72 W, Wire Terminal Base, T-1 shape (Box of 10)
x2 That's how I fixed mine too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

No, my TJ does not have the airbag disabling switch you are referring to. Must be on newer models than mine. But, for whatever reason, the airbag light has cleared itself. It comes on and goes off as normal at least for now. Who knows what the next trip may bring???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts