Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is overtaking my own Desert Rat build, here we go . . .

Long story short - a dumb rookie move (and not doing research on compatibility) netted me a '93 4cyl 5 speed with a rotted frame. Originally intended to be a parts bin, it got a reprieve and will now be my daughter's rig.

Aside from the frame, it is in impressive shape for the $2k purchase price. Compression test was solid, and it's a heck of a way to teach the kid the dark arts of wrenching. Procured a (mostly) solid frame with 3.73 axles for $250, (these will be fitted onto my Rat at some point).

IMG_1236 by pencilrunner, on Flickr

This was stripped down, and then she got to powerwashing, needlegunning, and finally, cutting out cancer and welding a 2" square patch on the frame side (after a few practice welds, she did a pretty good job!).

IMG_2017 by pencilrunner, on Flickr

IMG_2013 by pencilrunner, on Flickr

At a later point in the week, we are going to apply the POR15 treatment to the outside, and Eastwood's frame spray to the inside.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Projects with your kids are priceless.

Glad to see she is diving in and I am sure she will learn a lot over the course of the build.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any job worth doing . . . Frame is done with the POR15 treatment, with the Eastwood frame paint on the inside to boot. Finally ready to start slapping parts on.

Which remind me to ask. The rig has appx 2-3" lift leafs from Superlift, and the donor frame had appx 2-3" lift leafs of an unknown make. Is there a way to determine which of the two would be the better option to re-use? Gonna get new shocks, but the leafs I'll keep.

IMG_2053 by pencilrunner, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
10,472 Posts
Are there any numbers on the donor springs?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there any numbers on the donor springs?

No sir, nothing. No stamps or stencils. One pair of leafs had more leafs than the other, though. No military wraps on any eyes.

The Superlift ones are the same front and rear, and have military wraps on both eyes on every spring. They could use a cleaning, but seem to be in solid shape - so long as they aren't a really junk brand (I know nothing about them) I'm leaning to keeping them and toss the donor's. Are they of a decent build quality, or kinda junky?

·
Super Moderator
10,472 Posts
I don't know about Superlift springs.
What you can do is post in the YJ Tech forum asking for input on Superlift springs.
I wouldn't toss the other set of springs. I'd offer them for sale on CL for a nominal price.

Have you measured the length of each set. Cheaper springs tend to be a whisker shorter. I'd also compare the up side down height to see which set has the greater arch.
Military wrap springs are usually desired on hard core rigs, so they may prove to be the better choice, even if you don't plan on hard core off roading.

I'm not the best person to ask about springs. I have aftermarket stock height heavy duty springs that work well for how I use my Jeep.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
The frame looks brand new. Did you top coat the POR 15? It gets chalky pretty quick without a top coat since it is not UV stable.

As for the springs.. It is going to be hard to say which would be better. More thinner leaves will ride better that less thicker springs. As Lucky pointed out, the military wrap is desired for off road stuff, but I don't see this being hard core any time soon. I would keep both sets. With all of the bolts being fresh and clean you could swap springs in an afternoon and see which set works best for your needs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alas, sir, I did not top coat the POR15 - simply ran out of time.

Heading on vacay to do some Lake Erie fishing with the kiddos. When I come back, I may just go ahead and get that Tie-Coat they sell, prime it with that, and give her a top coat.

Y'all are spot on, don't see her doing any serious off-roading soon, but one never can tell . . .

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Heading on vacay to do some Lake Erie fishing with the kiddos..
The charter that I follow on facebook is just hammering the walleye. I think they put 42 in the boat yesterday. Have fun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The charter that I follow on facebook is just hammering the walleye. I think they put 42 in the boat yesterday. Have fun.

If it's Al's "Just One More Fish" charter out of Vermilion, OH, then it's one heck of a coincidence! Yeah, they've been limiting early all season so far. I hope it keeps up for one more week!

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
If it's Al's "Just One More Fish" charter out of Vermilion, OH, then it's one heck of a coincidence! Yeah, they've been limiting early all season so far. I hope it keeps up for one more week!
Nope. Blacktop Charter out of Lakewood, PA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Back at it! Removed the front axle and leaf springs today. Soon to be transferred to the new frame.

In an odd bit of welcome surprise, the eye bolts for the leaf springs came out with absolutely no need for heat, cursing, or hammering. A first time for everything, I guess . . .

IMG_2887 by pencilrunner, on Flickr

IMG_2891 by pencilrunner, on Flickr

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frame primed! POR15 Tie-Coat applied by my daughter while I dropped the rear axle and springs. Not a bad day's work. Next up, sand and paint, then the parts go on (slowly).

IMG_2906 by pencilrunner, on Flickr

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can’t wait until my kids are old enough to help with Jeep projects. Frame looks good, keep it up! :thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Something about leaf springs make it look so much better. Feels like progress :)

Cosmetic paint on the old springs, new bushings. Gonna torque to spec and hang axles soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
When you start putting things together, rather than taking things apart you have turned the corner and get a great sense of accomplishment.

Looking good.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts