Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i try to start my 2014 jeep, and this has been happening sporadically, I get a clicking noise, if i keep turning the key and letting it click it will start. Some times I may have to turn it a few more times than others. Some times it just starts no problem, but when it clicks it gives me a bad feeling , and I have a trip planned and I don't want to get stuck. Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
The next time it starts, I would take the Jeep (and the tools to change the battery) to an auto parts shop and have it load tested. They don't generally change batteries these days. If you have a battery specialty shop, they will test it and if needed change it. You generally are limited to their brands there, however.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, sorry forgot some info, so I took it in to a place and they load tested it and the battery. Battery says 12.7v , said starter was 1 point below normal and shouldn't be the problem( but that's an auto parts guy so). I don't think the battery has ever been changed, its a 2014 and i gt it used in 2017 with 1900 miles and I've never changed it. I think I'm going to just change it out regardless just hoping there is not a deeper issue.

Update: just checked the battery again cold, 10.5v, had my wife fire it up and its getting 14.5, guess i can rule out Alternator, batter dropped to 12.5v when turned of then trickled down to 10.5 again

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Update: just checked the battery again cold, 10.5v, had my wife fire it up and its getting 14.5, guess i can rule out Alternator, batter dropped to 12.5v when turned of then trickled down to 10.5 again

As you're finding out, one really needs to only measure the battery voltage, under load, which in most cases, is with the starter spinning (or trying to).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts