Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off with my problem...I have been feeling a clicking in my steering wheel and can sometimes feel it in my gas pedal. I feel it the most when going slow (around 15 to 20) and turning my wheel from 9 to 3 back and forth. It is very easy to feel and hear when doing that. I can sometimes feel it on the highway but it is definitely more noticeable when turning the steering wheel.

I have been researching to diagnose the problem myself. I found some people saying it could be the intermediate steering shaft. I also found a great write up on JK Forum (I believe I saw it on here too). Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles I had my wife turning the wheel back and forth while I felt for any movement. When my hand was on the drag link I could feel the clicking. I felt the tie rod and couldn't feel much at all so I'm assuming the drag link is the issue. In his write up he said to take pliers and squeeze the connection to the drag link to see if there is movement. I did that and it did move a good amount. So I assumed I found the issue.

I brought my Jeep into the dealership for a side mirror recall and to have them look at the clicking since it should be under warranty. They are telling me they can't replicate the clicking. I know for sure it was very noticeable when driving and even more so if you have someone turning the wheel while your hand is on the drag link. I told them to try that and get back to me.

So I went back online to search more about the drag link and now I read that the drag link connection should have some play and using the pliers to test them isn't a good test at all.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check the steering shaft between the fire wall and the steering box. There's a rubber boot and under that the shaft comes together with splined ends. The grease dries up/heats up from the engine and causes some binding. I fixed it by cutting the metal clip off. Sliding a tube linked to a syringe and pumped the boot full of heavy duty grease. Sealed the boot up with a hose clamp. This is a common issue and a cheap first step to see about fixing it. There's a few threads here about it. Mine only started when the weather got hot up here in Canada. It was more of a nuisance than anything.

The reason the dealership likely can't replicate it is that it usually only happens once the engine is at full operating temp and causes the grease to become lighter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the steering shaft between the fire wall and the steering box. There's a rubber boot and under that the shaft comes together with splined ends. The grease dries up/heats up from the engine and causes some binding. I fixed it by cutting the metal clip off. Sliding a tube linked to a syringe and pumped the boot full of heavy duty grease. Sealed the boot up with a hose clamp. This is a common issue and a cheap first step to see about fixing it. There's a few threads here about it. Mine only started when the weather got hot up here in Canada. It was more of a nuisance than anything.

The reason the dealership likely can't replicate it is that it usually only happens once the engine is at full operating temp and causes the grease to become lighter.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I did read that as well but figured since I could feel the clicking in the drag link while parked, this wasn't the issue. I should test the drag link when it is cold and after it warms up to see if the click gets worse. If it does, maybe it is more this issue than the drag link.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called the dealership back to tell the service adviser to have a tech look at the steering shaft. She told me the head tech and service manager took it for a test drive and didn't feel anything wrong. I know for a fact that it clicks very noticeably when turning the wheel.

I'm going to go pick it up in an hour or so and bring one of them on a test drive with me to show them what I mean. It pisses me off that dealerships do this. I know other people that had leaks and the dealership says they can't find it but then the next day it rains it leaks. Now my wife has to drive me 40 minutes to the dealership so I can show them the click and most likely leave it with them so they can try to find it while it is on the lift. I may take it home and go to a local mechanic. Pay for him to find it but have Jeep fix the problem under warranty.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edit: sorry for 3 posts in a row. Just picked up my Jeep. Drive it around the lot and no clicking. 5 minutes of highway driving, the clicking is back.

I told the tech about the drag link and he said the drag link should have some play in it and he has never replaced a drag link in all the time he has worked there (which doesn't seem right at all). Then I mentioned the grease in the steering shaft and he said he has never replaced one of those either. Seems odd to me.

With it becoming more noticeable after driving, that looks like it is more the steering shaft since it happens after the engine heats up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts