Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was driving home & was shifting gears then when I got to 5th gear & rolling along I heard a clicking noise I put it into 4th nothing but back into 5th & again clicking. So any suggestions on what it is?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Could be a lot of things so lets go with the easy ones. By the time you are in 4/5 gear you are moving along pretty good so start with a visual inspection of the u-joints all still inplace and seated correctly in the yokes. Then jack the rear and rotate by hand look for any binding as the move around. Check motor and trans mounts to include the the torque arm at the trans mount on the skid. If you don't find anything out of the ordinary anywhere on the driveline to explain the clicking it may be internal to the trans or t-case. Clicking in the t-case is usually the chain starting to stretch and slaps the case as it turns. In the trans it could be bearings or a shift fork that has lost its insulators so the fork rattles. If you haven't changed fluids it is a good time to do that in the trans and t-case afetr you do all your visuals. See what you get.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts