Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my stock 29" tires to 33" duratracs. To prevent any issues with rubbing I also got new wheels with a 4.5 backspacing. Everything was fine the first three weeks now all of a sudden I hear a loud clicking noise when my steering wheel is turned all the way to the right and I'm backing up.
What is happening? Why did this happen all of a sudden and it was fine the first 3 weeks? Is it rubbing against the mud flaps?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention its a 2015 sport with 4000 kms on it. bought it 4 months ago.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Did you trim your air dam and fenders?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
That actually does sound like fender liner or air dam to me, like plastic bending. Maybe see if you are grazing your control arm?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That actually does sound like fender liner or air dam to me, like plastic bending. Maybe see if you are grazing your control arm?
exactly, it does sound like plastic rubbing on something but i can't seem to find the source of it, i went under the jeep and everything looks fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Hmmm. An idea. Maybe get some bright ugly colored chalk, chalk up your tires, recreate the sound. See where the colored chalk rubbed off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. An idea. Maybe get some bright ugly colored chalk, chalk up your tires, recreate the sound. See where the colored chalk rubbed off.
good idea, i will try it tomorrow. So you think the tire is rubbing on something? how come it was okay the first two weeks after changing tires :S

·
Registered
296 Posts
good idea, i will try it tomorrow. So you think the tire is rubbing on something? how come it was okay the first two weeks after changing tires :S
it's likely that it is rubbing plastic somewhere on your inner fender. Something could have came loose or it's just slowly sunk down over time who knows

·
Registered
387 Posts
If its only in reverse then maybe its a ujoint.. Or loose control arms/track bar allowing the axle to shift into the tire?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Did I miss something? Lift? You put 33's on. If you are not lifted then you are rubbing the air dam. Same thing happened to me, but not 33's (285/70/17s) with 4.5 BS. You will not see it when you are stopped. In reverse at full lock the jeep will crouch in front, you are rubbing the air dam in the left front. Get someone to drive it for you to see where to trim or just remove the air dam like most everyone does.

And if you don't have a lift you are going to hammer your rear fender flares with those 33's, so get bump stops or coil spacers quick before you go off road, don't ask me how I know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts