Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I noticed a new sound that is really worrying me. I have a 2004 Rubicon.

When i turn the wheel it makes a loud clicking, not just once a turn and not always at the same position. I have read up on other threads and have done as much troubleshooting as I could possibly do. I layed underneath the jeep as a friend turned the wheel and didnt notice anything moving out of the ordinary and because the sound is so weird i can't locate exactly where it is coming from. My best guess would be front center?

Now, i finally decided to jack the car up and when i did the clicking stopped. So whatever the problem is, it is obviously something that is triggered by the weight of the car because the clicking does not come at all no matter how many times i turn the wheel.

I am not sure how to post videos here, so i am uploading them on youtube and will post the link.

when the car is sitting on the ground
loud clicking when turning the wheel - YouTube

when lifted very slightly off the ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1cPwyji_9o&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
232 Posts
Could be ball joints. Do you grease your front end? There's a total of 7 grease zerks in the front suspension I believe. The noise sounds like metal on metal. Or it could be an issue with the rack?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be ball joints. Do you grease your front end? There's a total of 7 grease zerks in the front suspension I believe. The noise sounds like metal on metal. Or it could be an issue with the rack?
I forgot to mention that i have an appointment with a local off road shop for an alignment and they will be greasing everything that needs to be greased.

I am hoping the issue will be fixed with the alignment, but because i have to drive the car to get around over the weekend, I just want to see if it could be something serious.

BTW, do you have a list of what needs to be greased? Maybe I can try that now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well do you know the last time they were greased? Some recommend greasing with every oil change. If it's been a while, it could certainly result in a noise. Here's a list of the grease points:

• Trackbar ball joint attached to the frame mount
  • Drag Link ball joint attached to the pitman arm
  • Drag Link ball joint on passanger's side knuckle
  • Upper ball joint on passanger's side knuckle
  • Upper ball joint on driver's side knuckle
  • Tie rod ball joint on driver's side knuckle
  • Tie rod ball joint attached to the drag link
I pulled that off another jeep forum. I grease them myself. It's pretty simple really. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Mine does the same thing when turning hard. I took it to my four wheel shop, they checked out everything and went for a test ride and yes they heard it. Found out, it was rubbing one of the front bars. Couldn't exactly remember where, but I can give him a call and ask if you'd like. He told me it's really no big deal and it's not hurting anything.

·
Registered
540 Posts
sounds like your lower trackbar bushing. mine clunked like that but only on the far left and right side of the turn.
put your hands on the parts that move and feel for a clunk.
keeping free of pinch points of course! have the woman turn the wheel when it's on the ground.
Took me about 20 turns left and right to find my clunk, and then I visually saw my lower trackbar bushing moving when it clunked.
Good luck! Happy hunting! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, I tried more troubleshooting but dont want to get in over my head, I have decided to wait untill i take it to the offroad shop for the alignment, hopefully they will be able to fix it easily. I will let you guys know what happens. Thank you again!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your inputs. I had some minor front work done to the front end, during the alignment they found that there were 2 bolts one torqued too high, the other too loose. The problem has went away for now, I hope i dont hear it ever again, now last thing that needs to be is my check engine light ( p1495 ) i am looking for a good jeep mechanic in my area I am in Glendale CA, I went from shop to shop today, each mechanic that i talked to seemed to have less experience than i do. I am 22 and only know what i have learned from all of you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts