Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'll be going for a couple of hours tomorrow with the wife and kids. It will be my second time out. Probably arriving around noon. Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
226 Posts
The weather's beautiful and I would love to go, but I'm hopping on a flight tomorrow afternoon and can't make it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it was fun. But a real mud pit. Lots of quads and dedicated mud trucks. I only got a quarter way through the Level1 novice trail before having to turn back because of what appeared to be deep mud pits. I started at both ends of the trail and turned back each time.

Got stuck once trying to go around a mud hole and then fell in it. A lifted GMC Sierra got stuck trying to get me out and thankfully a guy in a mud truck pulled us both out.

So I'm a novice and have only been to Cliffs once before but I honestly think its a place I'll only go back to if its a real dry summer. There are just mud pits and deep muddy ruts everywhere. Most of the trail is mud so it's not like I'm afraid of going through it. But when there are so many areas with standing water, it is best left to dedicated mud trucks.

But happy to say the 3.5" lift and 37" MTZs got me through a few places I don't think I would stand a chance going through stock. Spent an hour washing off most of the mud from the undercarriage and suspension. The alignment is off so thats my only issue other then some pinstripes. So all in all a good day. My daughter had fun too.:iamhappy:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Cliffs isn't set up like a lot of parks, where trail 1 is typically the best groomed and smoothest access. Maintenance efforts haven't kept up with the wear and tear (abuse) on trail 1. The last few times I've gone were exactly how you've described. Tried from both directions, and didn't get far before it turned slop. Fun can be had there when it's dried up a bit, but that's rare. Keep an eye out here. As temps get milder, we try to make it out to the other "local" places, like Red Bird or badlands in Indiana. Usually posted here in the Illinois side a week or two ahead.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep I'm definitely going to try Badlands later this month. I'll figure out when I can do it and put it out to the group. I've never been and would love a tour guide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad you still had a good time. I always want to wheel there but the mud kills it for me. We need a long dry spell! That place is great when it drys up a bunch. I'm 5 min from the Cliffs. We hit the Badlands way more often.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still on the stock 4:10s. Not too bad. Around town is fine but passing on the highway is noticeably slower. But not in a hurry to swap them out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anybody interested in making a trip tomorrow? My buddy was going to bring his drone and try to catch a bunch of footage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts