Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the situation... My JKU vent control stopped working this week. The knob turns and clicks into place but nothing changes. Its stays on floor/defrost. I pulled the center panel and the cable is still connected to the control end. Im hoping it possibly popped off the other end? :confused: My problem...where the heck is the other end and how the heck do I get to it? Currently -1 here in PA and it'd be great to be able to warm my hands on my way to work. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
I guessing here, but I think the vents are vacuum controlled. Do you have heat? Does it just not blow? Sounds like maybe a fan relay. Find the relay and swap one from a different slot. Someone with a JK should help out.

Found this through Google:

http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-10659.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fan works just fine. Vent control is where the issue is. Its not a vacuum problem either,no leaks. All I have is defrost/floor. Its at the other end of the control cable. I just don't know how to locate the other end of the control cable. The control end is still attached to the knob and actuator. Where does the cable go and how do I find it? Is it behind the glove box?

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Fan works just fine. Vent control is where the issue is. Its not a vacuum problem either,no leaks. All I have is defrost/floor. Its at the other end of the control cable. I just don't know how to locate the other end of the control cable. The control end is still attached to the knob and actuator. Where does the cable go and how do I find it? Is it behind the glove box?
Did you read the link? Since nobody's getting back to you I would honestly just try Google. It will either bring you to the link here on WF or to one of the other JK forms. Something like this somebody else's had an issue with I guarantee you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know if this will be of any help or not, but if your 2007 JK is like my 2012 JK, they don't use cables to control vent position. They use electric motors. There are two actuator motors in JKs.
One on the drivers side to control the blend mix door which switches from cold air to hot. It is hard to see, but if you look up from under the dash, next to the transmission hump, you will see two white arms approximately 4 to 5" long. When you adjust the temperature you should see the arms move. This opens the air blend door and switches from between AC and heat. From your description, if you are getting heat, this motor is probably working.
And on the passenger side, there is a motor which controls the switching of air flow to various vents. That motor can be seen by removing the glove box. It is a small approximately 3" x 3" black square plastic motor housing to the left of the glove box opening, connected to white plastic arms. When you adjust the vent control you should see the white arms moving which in turn adjust the vents. If you don't then either the motor has gone bad or something in the air box assembly has jammed up. I would say this is probably where your problem lies if you are having problems of directing air flow to various vents.
This may not be the problem, but I would start here, and make sure that all of the doors and vents are operating correctly. If everything here is OK and the problem still persists, you make have to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I was able to fix it today. It was a combination of all the posts that got me to where I needed to be. Its under the glove department toward the tranny hump. Its definitely cable operated not motorized like the '12 referred to above.The end came off the cable. I ended up using a bit of Gorilla Glue 5 minute epoxy, sliding the cable back into the aluminum end and crimping it in place with my Snap-on compound leverage pliers. Going to let it sit for a couple days before I actuate it. At least I know where its at if it happens again. I may end up silver soldering it back on if it does it again in the future. Again....Thank You so much!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
Thanks guys I was able to fix it today. It was a combination of all the posts that got me to where I needed to be. Its under the glove department toward the tranny hump. Its definitely cable operated not motorized like the '12 referred to above.The end came off the cable. I ended up using a bit of Gorilla Glue 5 minute epoxy, sliding the cable back into the aluminum end and crimping it in place with my Snap-on compound leverage pliers. Going to let it sit for a couple days before I actuate it. At least I know where its at if it happens again. I may end up silver soldering it back on if it does it again in the future. Again....Thank You so much!!!
sweet! :thumb: glad it worked out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts