Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've joined this forum to read up as much as I can about the Wrangler Unlimited. One thing is slowing down my purchase and that's the ease of getting in and out by an adult under 5' tall that can't reach the grab handle to assist in getting in. Also an 80 year old that has a difficult time getting down into my Corvette as well as up and out of it.

The doors do not lock into a position, not that any door will really help if it was absolutely needed, but if you are under 5' or know of an elderly person, are they able to get in and out without difficulty?

Both with and without a step/Slider with step?

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Registered
227 Posts
My girlfriend is 5'1" and is able to "step up" into my JKU with a 2.5" AEV lift and 35's. However, I would never try and get my grandparents into it. Once you reach a certain age you have a lot of safety concerns, not just strength to pull oneself up. Think balance as a big one.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Now imagine being an 80 year old under 5 feet trying to get in :pullinghair:

I would look at getting a step that folds out when you open the door, I say that because one that is in a fixed position won't reach down as far...it would be a higher step up. RockSlide Engineering makes a rock slider that has a fold down step but if you don't drag the bottom much then the AMP Research PowerStep might be a better option. The AMP looks to be a better "step" since it is wider and appears to go lower. If you don't want to spend the money then some kind of step stool would be the best option, and just throw it in the back. **I have researched this plenty but do not have personal experience with these**

AMP Research PowerStep Available Jeep Wrangler (JK) 2-Door | AMP Research

http://www.rockslideengineering.com/shop/step-sliders/jk-4d-step-sliders.html

For the doors you can get these from Star Fabricating.

Smart Door | StarFabricating

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A fold down step or bringing a step stool with you is probably the best bet. I have a thing for short girls and it's always fun watching them climb into a lifted Jeep.

I did pick up some CMM handles to make it easier on my 5'2" 60+ year old mom.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
A Wrangler at stock height would be doable. A lifted model would be unlikely.

As long as the driver or someone held the door while entering or egressing, it shouldn't be a problem for the average 80 year old. There is a wide range of mobility capacity in the elderly population and that is critical for any vehicle access.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've joined this forum to read up as much as I can about the Wrangler Unlimited. One thing is slowing down my purchase and that's the ease of getting in and out by an adult under 5' tall that can't reach the grab handle to assist in getting in. Also an 80 year old that has a difficult time getting down into my Corvette as well as up and out of it.

The doors do not lock into a position, not that any door will really help if it was absolutely needed, but if you are under 5' or know of an elderly person, are they able to get in and out without difficulty?

There's always this option (picture below), although I can't with good conscience recommend it.

Seriously I understand your dilemma. Many of us have relatives or friends that do suffer from mobility problems, and at some point in all of our lives we may reach that same point. Wranglers aren't known as exactly for their ease of entry.

As already mentioned there are power step options available as well as mechanical door stops to help. Here is just one example of each. There are many different designs out there to choose from.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/dv8-offroad-electric-step-4door-0717.html?utm_content=XT Exterior - Side Steps|DV8 Off-Road&utm_campaign=JK - Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term={keyword}&T5_Var3=yellow&T5_Var4=J104638&XTID=J104638

https://www.quadratec.com/products/13029_301X_PG.htm

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm not 80 yet.
Still, I try to mount my jeep in the garage to limit the butt crack exposure.
When downtown I am exposed to the elements upon exit.

Once when I was entering the jeep, another driver tried validate his parking.
I was offended with the first quarter, the second I was perplexed, the third I resigned myself.

Butt cracks rule! :action-smiley:

·
Registered
983 Posts

x2 on the Smart Door modification. I did this for my wife because our driveway is sloped.

I put in Syngery grap handles and a second Velcro mounted grab handle so that she could use both hands to left her self up to get in.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/grab-handle-issues-2035162.html#post30134586 Click on the pictures to see the grab handles.

We a also carry one of these You are being redirected... for the bad days.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
I used to keep a milk crate in mine for my Mom. It worked well.
Easier than getting in/out of my Camaro.

We'd get where we were going and I'd just say, "Wait until I come around Mom".

Miss those days. '
My Mother in Law is 80, and is not very mobile. We do something similar.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My best friend is 4'11 and my mother is 5'0 both can get in my Jeep. 3 inch lift with 35s. I have bartact grab handles and smittybilt rockslider steps.

Grandpa is 5'6 and 72 y/o and he gets in no problem. He is active for his age though.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I have 35" tires, a 2.5" lift, and OEM HR rails. My mother in law is 69 and not all that mobile. I have a step stool that I use for her to get in and out of the Jeep. A folding step stool that you can stow in the back works wonders.

My wife is 5'2" and is able to grab the Opar grab handle, step on the rock rails, and get in with no issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wish my Mom wanted to get in my Jeep, I'd have the RockSlide step sliders on in a flash! Super nice design, very strong. Also a bit strong on the price, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 75 yr old 5'3" mom loves my Jeep. I added handles to the roll bar and I have the step. May purchase the handles that attach to the headrests as well. I like the step that comes down when you open the door, as that would be very helpful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts