Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, to climb up this test hill in a JKU at silver lake dunes, MI, what is most effective?

Given the needed momentum, stay in 4H or switch to 4LO to climb all the way to the top?

What has worked for those that did climb it with ease?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwH1910ByXU

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Soft sand you want 4hi. You want to float on the sand. 4hi has Less chance to send too much power to the wheels. If you spin your wheels too much you dig in and don't float over!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Isn't airing out the tires what tackles digging in and allows for floating on the sand?

Is it a correct rule of thumb to use that if the obstacle needs much higher speed given its climb such as here, that alone would be a reason to be in 4HI regardless of the surface being soft or hard. If this was a rock or hard clay would you still not stay in 4HI because of the needed speed to gain momentum?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Was at Silver Lake, for 2 day, last August. Had a blast. Airing down tires, is big thing.
1 day, I aired tires down to 8 pounds. Use 4-wheel high, and need momentum, to make it to top. About 50% of time, I made it. If you start spinning tires, near top, stop And back down. 2nd day, I did not air down tires as must, around 12 pounds, and had very hard time. The difference between 4 pounds, was a lot.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Do you have sand everywhere now?

Many, many years ago I was gonna head up there w a toyota truck and a friend told me it's fun but you'll have sand in every crevice of ur truck and it will be there for all time. It didn't seem like a good thing to do to the vehicle and so I never went.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No, some, sand inside, put vacuumed up, quick. We had great weather, no rain. The sand was dry, if sand was wet, that might make a big mess, but was only there, one time.
I would recommend to go, if you get a chance. If you go on weekends, they are very busy and fill up. There was long line of vehicles,in line the night before opening, for Sat.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Airing down is key. There is a huge difference in every pound below 10. I usually air down to 7. Any more than that and you take a chance of spinning the tire on the rim and getting it out of balance for a little shimmy on the drive home. I have gone as low as 4 before. Without beadlock wheels, you have to be very smart about not spinning the tire on the wheel or more important turning real fast and rolling a front tire off the rim.

That being said, I have always had a Rubicon with the 4:1 transfer case and 4:10 gears. On my manual now, I run in 4 low in 4th gear, depending on the sand, maybe 5th. It is a delicate balance of speed, power and traction. Losing one will cause you to not make it. You just need to experiment and see what works best for you.

Also, if you get high centered on the peak, and it will probly happen at least once, don't worry. Start digging and someone will pull up behind you and pull you backwards. If you just stand around, most won't feel sorry for you and let you sit. If you are trying to help yourself, most will be willing to lend a hand. NEVER pull forwards over a hill. When you get over the top and are are stopped and unhooking, people going up the hill can't see you and they may hit you. A good way to get injured or killed.

Be safe and have a great time. I go 2-3 times a year and have for almost 10 years.

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Used to be the only way in was up the "test" hill. Haven't been in years but hear there is now an easy way in.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The way in is a good bit back from Test. I ran my Silverado in 4 low most of the time. Made for a good launch when drag racing. lol

·
Registered
658 Posts
I will test it on July 4th, when I will be there

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think you got it...momentum is key in 4hi. If that guy would have lost momentum at the top when he turned, oh shit would have ensued.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So I was out there last summer in a rental jk with a shitty lift and tiny tires. Air down a bit. Don't think you need to go below 12 Give yourself some run room. Put it on the floor and don't let up till you are at the top. IMHO there are some hills closer to the lake that were tougher then test hill to get up.

It is a blast to drive all around that place. Don't spend all your time on the big hill.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Will I have a problem making it over these hills in a 4cyl tj? I have a 2" bds lift and 31" tires.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Whew, I've done my share of sand at the OBX but only ever went to 18lbs. Really wanted no chance of losing a bead 12 miles up the beach with no one to help.
I can see how these dunes would be way harder.... I think I'd be running beadlocks.
Looks like fun.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't forget to lift at the top, right beer you go over. Don't do this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wanzhebzJJs

Also let's not bash H3's, besides the dumbass in this one. I was at the top of the hill in mine when this happened

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was there yesterday and had a very hard time getting up. 3.5" AEV lift with 35" Grabbers aired down to 12-13.. took me about 20 tries to get up, and that was on the easy side... For me the magic number was 40 mph at the bottom of the hill to have the momentum to make it up, but that's also hard because of the little hills right at the base of the hill... Needless to say it was pretty embarrassing showing up in a big Jeep and backing down the hill about 30 times hahaha

·
Registered
516 Posts
Way too much air. Go lower the difference it makes is amazing.

Yes, you will make it with the 4cyl. A friend I go with has a 4 cyl and has a blast.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I was there on July 4th weekend and climbed the test hill and all 4 hills after it 2 times after 3 failed attempts

at 16 PSI I could not do it, at 14 PSI I did it, and the key is to completely turn off traction control in 4HI - hold button for 10 seconds when in park

the small ripples/folds of sand in front of the hill were jarring at 40-45 mph and costed me front shaft seal :)

it was fun

1 - 18 of 18 Posts