Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems staying under 4200 RPM and maintaining 60 MPH climbing these mountain passes. Is this normal? 2016 Rubicon, automatic, all standard factory equipment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For those passes, I would have to say yes. The only way you are going to get your RPM's down is slow down.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yeah, the higher the elevation, the less air you have, the less performance your engine has. We've rented cars and gone over the pass at Vail and by the time you get up around 9000 feet a car that was "fine" at 5000 feet is now struggling.

We once had a Jeep Patriot rental that was okay enough in Denver, but when we drove over the pass in Rocky Mountain National Park, at the top, I had my foot firmly planted on the floorboard and we were barely moving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the problem

I guess I wouldn't have had such a problem if the front differential wasn't chewing the gears up...it's in Denver getting repaired

·
Registered
432 Posts
WHen I moved from KY to CO the 35s on 4.10 spd would require many downshifts to climb those hills. I went to 4.88s since it is not a daily driver.

For a reference at about 10K ft we the 3.6 is down almost 100HP

HP Loss = (elevation x 0.03 x horsepower @ sea level)/1000

1 - 8 of 8 Posts