Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright my dudes, I'm having some issues and I'm guessing clock spring (all fuses are g2g)

Wipers turn on randomly, mostly when I use the turn signal
Horn stopped working
All buttons on steering wheel stopped working

Just wanted to get some opinions before i start shotgunning parts at it

PS Can we bring back the Jeep wave?? Got them all the time in the YJ not so much in the JK.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Alright my dudes, I'm having some issues and I'm guessing clock spring (all fuses are g2g)

Wipers turn on randomly, mostly when I use the turn signal

Horn stopped working

All buttons on steering wheel stopped working

Just wanted to get some opinions before i start shotgunning parts at it

PS Can we bring back the Jeep wave?? Got them all the time in the YJ not so much in the JK.
It's the clock spring. Check for a recall. If it's not covered, it's not hard to change yourself. Couple sockets and a 3 armed puller and the steering wheel is off. Lots of videos on YouTube. I have a 2011 and it wasn't covered under the 2012+ recall

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts
I’m not saying that it is not the clock spring, but why would that affect the wipers? Sounds to me like you may have 2 separate issues. One being the multi-function switch which is causing the wiper issues and the second being the cruise control module in the steering wheel.

My radio control buttons stopped working one day, so I immediately assumed that switch module went bad. The I realized that horn did not work. A few days later, when I turned the Jeep off, the horn would sound for like 30 seconds before stopping. Turned out it was the cruise control switch causing the issue. The horn switch and radio control switch are wired through the cruise control switch, so if it goes bad, the other switches die as well. For me, the cruise still worked, but the other two switches down stream did not.

Just throwing out another possibility. If I remember right, the cruise switch cost less than $30 and was a 15 minute install. Replacing it does not require the removal of the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Even the switches that aren't on the wheel generally get wired through the clockspring. Everything's a possibility, but the JK clockspring is infamous.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Even the switches that aren't on the wheel generally get wired through the clockspring. Everything's a possibility, but the JK clockspring is infamous.
Not true.

The only things that go thru the clockspring are the steering wheel buttons front and rear and the horn. Sounds like the Op have multiple problems, possibly in the TIPM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Right you are! The JK's a bit of an outlier there, I was off.
#6 a moment ago

I know this is a relatively old article. Anyone had it be the steering wheel cruise control switch? I heard it can be a pass through to the other buttons on the steering wheel....
My issue: 2012 JK no horn, no steering wheel controls except cruise, no airbag lights.
Still think it’s a clock spring?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts